Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 235 55 17 fit on the rear of my 65? It has stock drum brakes and mono leaf springs. I currently have 235 60 14 on it now.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
whats the difference in diameter of the two tires. an the back spacing will play into the fit also.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Below is a link to a Tire Size calculator. Plug in the numbers for your current rear tires > then click on the "Calculate Tire Dimensions".... and then plug in the numbers for the "proposed" rear tires > then click on the "Calculate Tire Dimensions"... and then click on the "Compare This Tire" > scroll down to see results (change measurement units to "Inches", if desired).
Below are some quick results using your numbers. Proposed tires is the same width as current tire, but is 2" larger in diameter (your speedometer will not be accurate). Wheel backspacing for the new wheel also needs to be considered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Backspacing on the old wheels is 3.75 the backspace on the new wheels is 4.5. Its very close to the wheel well. I'm thinking about returning the rear ones and replacing them with 205 50 17. That's what is going on the front.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I had some custom rally wheels made for the back of my 64. They are 15x8 with 5.25” of backspacing. I am currently running a 225/50/15 and all is clear.. I could probably squeeze a little more tire in there and probably will.

If you are going to run a 15x7 and want to run the 235/60/15 tires you should get 4.75” backspace this should allow for sidewall buldge.. There is mor backspace available behind the wheel to the leaf springs then there is to the outer wheel houses.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's really coming into issues is that the new tires are 2 inches taller than the old ones. More measuring is definitely needed here.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Backspacing on the old wheels is 3.75 the backspace on the new wheels is 4.5.
How wide is the 14" wheel compared to the 17" (new) wheel? As Nova Thug has mentioned... wheel width also needs to be considered when calculating backspace.

A 6" wide wheel with a backspace of 3.75" would be similar to a 7" wide wheel with 4.25" backspacing... or an 8" wide wheel with 4.75" backspacing (all 3 wheels would have a +6mm offset).
- - - OR - - -
A 5" wide wheel with a backspace of 3.75" would be similar to a 7" wide wheel with 4.75" backspacing... or an 8" wide wheel with 5.25" backspacing (all 3 wheels would have a +19mm offset).
Below is "wheel offset" calculator that can be used to compare (and calculate) wheel offset.

What's really coming into issues is that the new tires are 2 inches taller than the old ones. More measuring is definitely needed here.
Please note that you will only need to add 1" out from any point on the circumference of the original tire to determine clearance with a new tire that is 2" larger in diameter.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You’ll need to explain what you mean by the height of the tire being the issue.

I’ve had 235/60/15 on 15x7 steal wheels and they rubbed the inside of the outer wheel house towards the outside and front. That was with my car at a relatively stock height. The steal wheels had 4.25” of backspace..
DB3E6A0C-587A-4156-8A39-3414298EF996.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both old and new tires are 9.25 in wide. The problem with the new ones being 2 in taller is that it comes very close to the inner lip of the top of the fender. If I mount the new tires and they don't fit then I can't return the tires. Sending back the wheels will cost me about $100 or so.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Sorry, I mis read the tire size you were going to run as a 15” wheel.

I don’t think the 235/55/17 will work on the wheels you have to work with. I have fitted 255/45/17 on a 17x8 offset 20 wheel and it just clears all around but this wheel has 5.25” of backspace.. If you want to run that tire on a 17x7 wheel you’re going to need 4.75” of back space.
20C8715A-D7B4-44C9-B786-208F8A363AE0.jpeg
26F7C27E-AB53-43EF-87D5-5DE2489117BE.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking about cutting out a piece of plywood 27in in diameter and mounting it to the brake drum and then see if that will help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will be putting 205 50 17 on the front. May have to go with a 215 50 17 on the rear. That might work out better. The back space is 4.5.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You should look through this thread. It pretty much covers all the bases with our cars.. You can probably cut through about the half way point as the later pages deal with more current wheel and tire combinations as well as different suspension setups..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now having problem with the front tires rubbing on the front of the fenders. Old tires were 195 70 14 and the new ones are 205 50 17. They rub when turning the wheels . I have disc brakes on the front and the rest is stock suspension. Any ideas on how to move the front wheels back would be appreciated. The new tires are about a 1/2 in taller and about 3/4 inch wider than the old ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I noticed that the strut rod on the driver's side had more threads on the end than the passenger side. Can those be adjusted to move the wheels back? I'm sure that it will throw off the alignment though. The passenger side tire is closer to the fender than the driver's side. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Per Batman’s findings. Zero offset disc brakes are a must.. If you have a a Chevelle type disc brake kit up front it will push the wheels outboard 5/8” per side. This will create conflict between the tires and body work..

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
nova thug...... your right about the chevelle type disc brakes, same as on my 66 an it does push the wheel/tire out 5/8''. rubbed bad at top of fender on turns. this was with a 205 70 14 with 3 3/4 BS. went to a 69 camero rally 14 x 6'' with a back space of 4 3/8'' an the 205 70 tire. now all is good lock to lock steering. an it was batman that told me that, so zero offset is the way to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts