Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install my posi unit with a set of gears yet to be decided. I have everything ready to remove and just need to decide a few factors. I've read over a few threads here and see most go with 3.73, but I'm looking for a little more detail on overall factor with gear and tire diameter.

I have a set of 3.90, a set of 3.42 and a set of 2.73 gears. I want some decent launch for the drag strip, but want to drive on street as well. Right now I have 27.5" tires, if I'm not mistaken, 225/70R15 on 8x15 wheels. I may go with a little lower profile later on to ensure I don't scrub the wheel wells.

I know I had to change speedo gear to compensate the difference in tire size, but what affect will my tire size have with the rear gear ratio I decide to use?

I have another 8.5 rearend and I was thinking about setting one up with the lower posi gear for the strip and the other between 2.73 and 3.42 for driveability and just swap them as needed, and this would be a good compromise to both situations, but that's a future project.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts