Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: After an overwhelming internet search, I'm no closer to an answer than before.
I have P205 X 70R 14 on my 7" wheels now, and am looking for new tires for my rally wheels project. I don't want huge tires, but would like something just a little taller. If there is such a thing as a P205 X 75R 14, maybe that would work. Or a 215 X 75 R14?
I'm guessing that the rim backspace specs are the same for the 14x7 rallys and the stock steel rims.
Not looking for any clearance issues or having to use spacers. Thanks

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I could only find a 70 series tire, 215 70 14 will be as tall as a 205 75 14 only a touch wider. The 14"x 7" rim should be fine for fitment, I run them on the front of my 69 Nova with a 205 70 14 BFG, I think a 215 70 14 would look better though.:yes:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the original tires were E70X14 when the car was new. I put on the 20570R 14's on and I thought that the speedo went off registering faster (smaller tire?) So I was looking for something a little taller to bring it back. But the 2 tires are probably nearly the same diameter, and my memory is off. The 215 70R 14 shouldn't make any difference in the speedo if it's just a hair wider. Does any of this make sense? Thanks for all of your help. F

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I think the original tires were E70X14 when the car was new. I put on the 20570R 14's on and I thought that the speedo went off registering faster (smaller tire?) So I was looking for something a little taller to bring it back. But the 2 tires are probably nearly the same diameter, and my memory is off. The 215 70R 14 shouldn't make any difference in the speedo if it's just a hair wider. Does any of this make sense? Thanks for all of your help. F
A 215 70 14 will be a touch taller then a 205 70 14 by .6", so it does make sense.:yes:
Here's a chart I found that may help to find the diameter you want, you'll need to scroll down to the 70 series.

http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm

Glad to help!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 215 70 14 will be a touch taller then a 205 70 14 by .6", so it does make sense.:yes:
Here's a chart I found that may help to find the diameter you want, you'll need to scroll down to the 70 series.

http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm

Glad to help!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the charts. It looks like the 205R70 x 14 tires are a smaller diameter, which would make the speedo read faster.
The 215R70 x 14's are slightly larger in size then the original size E70 x 14, so the speedo should be just a hair slower. Much closer than it is now.
Now the question is, will the 215's have any clearance issues, and I think that was answered as no. The stock 7" wheel, and the 7" rallys should have the same backspacing, so I should be good to go.
One final question, does anybody have a chart that shows the min/max size tire that can fit on any given size rim? I know I'm asking alot, but somebody here has it, I know! Thanks. F

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I run a 245 on a 7" rim on the rear with no issue, the 7" was easier to find with the correct backspacing and offset. I've seen even larger than that too.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a 245 on a 7" rim on the rear with no issue, the 7" was easier to find with the correct backspacing and offset. I've seen even larger than that too.
I'm going to make a note referring to you as the tire guru. Thanks for all of the help. F

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm going to make a note referring to you as the tire guru. Thanks for all of the help. F
LOL, it's from the same thing you're doing, the members here have helped me a ton too.;)

NPHNP!!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
215 70 14s are going to give you a nice stock look without being too wide or too skinny. JMO (Just my opinion) :)

Andy
Any suggestions for tires? Remember, it's a "plain jane" stocker............

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more ???'s

RatNova71.................I've been digging (literally), and found 5 center caps that should be OK to use with some cleaning and polishing. It looks like the grooves(?) above the lugs are painted silver? Not polished. Probably the Argent silver?
And..................no lug nuts. What did they use with those rims? And where do I find some?
Lastly, been looking at tires. I like the looks of the BF Goodrich Radial T/A, and they come in the 215 70R 14. I could like the blackwalls, but also like the raised white letter. Any other ideas?
I'm also thinking that it's going to take some getting used to seeing my car with the rally wheels after 41 yrs of the panted steel ones. Not sure if it will look any better, but it would add some chrome to a body with little of it elsewhere (on the sides). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Go with the BFG's and put the white letters out, after they get dirty you put the black wall side out, especially if you like the raised letters!:yes:

I have my tires black wall out, but they do have the raised letters on them, just inward.

If the lug nuts are exposed they were the chrome cap style, if the were hidden, it would be a standard style lug nut.

This link shows the exposed lugs.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/chevellemontecarlo/sucs_0732_1969_chevelle_l78/photo_11.html

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
RatNova71.................I've been digging (literally), and found 5 center caps that should be OK to use with some cleaning and polishing. It looks like the grooves(?) above the lugs are painted silver? Not polished. Probably the Argent silver?
And..................no lug nuts. What did they use with those rims? And where do I find some?
Lastly, been looking at tires. I like the looks of the BF Goodrich Radial T/A, and they come in the 215 70R 14. I could like the blackwalls, but also like the raised white letter. Any other ideas?
I'm also thinking that it's going to take some getting used to seeing my car with the rally wheels after 41 yrs of the panted steel ones. Not sure if it will look any better, but it would add some chrome to a body with little of it elsewhere (on the sides). Thanks.

Yep Argent silver in the grooves.

Correct lug nuts should be avail from YEARONE. They are acorn style and have a stainless steel cap. You could just use standard chrome acorn style lugs also, probably avail from your local auto parts...if 100% originality is not a big issue. I personally dont really like the correct ones because the stainless covers are pretty fragile and they arent as shiny.

Those chrome slot inserts you were talking about came around in the late 70's. I should have a full set of them too... I ran them on my car for awhile

BFG white letters look nice on anything IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have Firestone SS20 RWL 215 70R-14 on mine all around with the 14x7 rally wheels. Works fine no rubs in tight turns or over stiff bumps.

Here's what mine looks like with them.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have Firestone SS20 RWL 215 70R-14 on mine all around with the 14x7 rally wheels. Works fine no rubs in tight turns or over stiff bumps.

Here's what mine looks like with them.
The picture is MIA.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:yes:I like the look of the rims and tires. Thanks. F

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
:horse:After beating the crap out of the horse, I bought 21570R14's, and they fit just fine. I think I could have gone a size or two larger. My next set of tires will be 225's.

Thanks for all of the replies and help.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The car looks very balanced, great choice!!:yes:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car looks very balanced, great choice!!:yes:
Thanks for the compliments. It definitely gives the car a different look. After looking at it for 42 yrs with the painted rims, it was hard to picture how it'd look with the ralleys. Or how I'd like it, but I think it looks pretty good. Just enough chrome and silver to add a little more interest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts