Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10 bolt '66 nova axle seals are rebuilt, and now have to the rear with gear oil.

sprayed with WD-40, tried to get the thing off with adjustable wrench, but now way--won't budge. used 5/8" open end wrench but not much leverage and it's about ready to snap.

i realize it has never been removed, but there has got to be a way to get this out. need to get some leverage. any tool suggestions?

thanks for any and all suggestions. want to get this thing on the road again!

-Rusty

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rusty, an easy way out is to buy an aftermarket diff cover that has a fill hole. There are inexpensive sheetmetal covers that come w/ a fill hole and you don't have t buy an expensive cast cover.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Be careful with the heat if it's oily.

The two other tricks: A sharp chisel and a hammer around the edge of the plug to begin to turn it. The second is to weld a good sized short hex bolt to it and unscrew it that way.

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
An easier way is to buy a socket designed for a square headed fitting or bolt. I have set in both 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive that don't get used very often but are very handy when needed.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,495 Posts
I agree with Pmotion.
If the gear oil fill plug in the rear has a square fitting, I found it best to get a "female" square socket that fits over the square head on the fill plug.
If your only going to purchase the one size square socket that is needed, be sure to thoroughly clean all of the crud/debris from the square head of the fill plug and then check for correct size using an open end wrench that fits snugly over the square head on the fill plug.
I needed to purchase a 9/16" "female" square socket to remove the fill plug fill plug in my 12 bolt rear... nothing else would budge it loose. Try to purchase a square head socket that is 1/2" drive so you are able to use a 1/2" drive ratchet... or a 1/2" drive breaker bar for more turning torque.

Below are links to a 9/16" and 5/8" female square sockets (1/2" drive).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would beat on it a little with a hammer. Accomplishes two things, the vibration helps to loosen it, and it will slightly swell the end for a tighter fit with whatever wrench you’re using. A new pipe wrench with sharp teeth will probably work, but of course it will indent the plug a little. A pipe wrench is such a basic, stone-age tool, but sometimes they flat out work.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,056 Posts
I agree with Pmotion.
If the gear oil fill plug in the rear has a square fitting, I found it best to get a "female" square socket that fits over the square head on the fill plug.
If your only going to purchase the one size square socket that is needed, be sure to thoroughly clean all of the crud/debris from the square head of the fill plug and then check for correct size using an open end wrench that fits snugly over the square head on the fill plug.
I needed to purchase a 9/16" "female" square socket to remove the fill plug fill plug in my 12 bolt rear... nothing else would budge it loose. Try to purchase a square head socket that is 1/2" drive so you are able to use a 1/2" drive ratchet... or a 1/2" drive breaker bar for more turning torque.

Below are links to a 9/16" and 5/8" female square sockets (1/2" drive).
Well now I HAVE to have both of these, two clicks and they will be here Friday, Thanks Rif Raf!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts