Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm planning on buying a 66 or 67 Nova on ebay sometime soon and it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. Im looking to spend around $10K and was hoping you guys could give me some tips and hints on how to do business through ebay. I know a good amount about the car (i've wanted one since I was 16) but I've only bought very small items on ebay before so this is all rather new to me. How can I have the vehicle checked out beforehand and what are some pitfalls to watch out for? Have any of you bought/sold a vehicle on ebay?

Thanks a lot for any advice, and I look forward to being a regular on these boards as soon as I get my ChevyII!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I would go and kick the tires, so to speak. I would not buy a car sight unseen. But thats my opinion, for what thats worth.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I would say Chip is right. If you are going to spend good money than you should see it first. If you keep an eye open on eBay you will find alot of cars in the North east.

Good Luck,

novamaniac

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you cant go and see it, ask alot of very specific questions on e-mail. His written asnwers will provide you some (probably not alot) of protection if things are not as advertised. That's how I bought mine (it was in Hawaii).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I'd love to actually go and see the car beforehand but it seems like most of this cars are someplace far away. Since I live in New York its a bit hard for me to find a 66-67 Nova in my area. I scan the local paper everyday but rarely are there any novas let alone a 66 or 67. I feel like Ebay is the only way....Does anyone know of any other sources I should be looking at?

66 Wagon: Are you happy with the car you bought off Ebay? was everything as advertised and was the transaction as smooth as you could have liked?

Anyone else ever bought or sold cars on Ebay?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Overall very happy. There were a few things that were not as advertised but I was not specific on some of my questioning. The car turned out much nicer than I was expecting. I consider myself lucky. Its a total roll of the dice.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi Charley, welcome to the group!

Finding a decent car in this area is a challenge but is possible. Depending on where in NY you are, specialinterest.com is good for the area including central and northern NJ, NYC, Long Island, Westchester/Rockland and western CT. Not too sure about upstate or New England.

Good luck in your search.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NovaJay thanks for the tip about specialnterest.com!! I see there are a couple 66 novas in my area, i'll be calling them tomorrow! I let you guys know how it goes.:D

edit: im on long island so if you guys know of any other sources I should check out please let me know!

·
6,502 Posts
You could have a good purchase or a real bad one with Ebay. It depends on the seller, how it is in HIS eyes, and plenty of other variables.
I was talking with a buddy of mine that deals in used vehicles and I asked him what kind of questions should I ask. He replied ask about the worst things on the vehicle. You could care less if the glass is new, the tires are new, it has shiney rims, and so on. You want to know, is it a fred flinstone vehicle (no floors), one that was raced and they gutted or cut out portions of the car that may still be missing or have been poorly replaced, was it in their care for years or was it something they just bought and got stung on and are wanting to find another sucker out there, if it was restored who did the work, what part have been replaced due to age or abuse, and so on.
I've driven hours to look at a few cars and I was getting antsy wanting one but now I'm asking more questions, asking for more photo's, and while I still buy things on ebay I'm taking my time more before jumping on a purchase. Things aren't getting any cheaper these days and some want a pretty penny for garbage.
Last year a buddy of mine was selling his neighbors first generation Mustang and they took a lot of photo's, left numbers to where they could be contacted, stated that they could take more photo's of an area if needed, had the documented history of work and parts that were used in the restoration and they got good money for the car as they should have. It was as described and photographed and was nice. The guy that wrote about it in the auction also told the true story of him getting burned on a vehicle purchased through Ebay and maybe this helped put some of the bidders at ease. He had bought a one way ticket to the town, took a cab to the guys house and when he started going over the car things were not as described in the auction or in the photo's and the guy said well this is what you owe me and he said bull!!!!, I'll take a cab back to the airport, buy another ticket and I'm gone or we can take money off for this and that and maybe we can come to a deal, if not, I'm gone. The seller then did reduce the price and he ended up driving it home but not without an incident or two on the way back.
If you're lucky you may find an honest person locally to the sale vehicle to look it over and give you a second opinion. If you do get the car and go to pick it up, meet up with this other person and say that you appreciate his help and give him something to cover his time.
Some things I've found not always to be true are "Rust Free", "Arrow Straight Bodywork", "Flawless Paint", "Perfect Interior", "Completely Untouched Original". If they have these statements then have them back them up. What is viewed by one as being perfect, flawless, and original could mean the exact opposite to a lot of others.

Ebay is just one place to purchase a vehicle and it is an auction. There are also a lot of other vehicles being sold out there by individuals and I think a lot of times those might be a better choice.

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my 67 off Ebay last summer. It was located about 80 miles from my house. I went and looked at it before I bought it. I brought cash with me and drove home with the car before the auction ended. The car didn’t look as good as the pictures on Ebay, but they never do. I looked for over a year and finally found what I was looking for. Personally I would never buy a car without someone looking at it first. I usually look for cars that are located within a days drive. I can’t count how many times I went to buy a Nova and when I got there the car wasn’t even close to the condition it was advertised. If you have patience a car will show up in your area for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys! It sounds like general consensus is to only buy it if you can physically look at it. So i'll steer clear of any far away ebay sales... I'll be scanning the local newspaper, specialinterest.com and regional ebay from now on. I'm sure something will come up eventually and since I have a daily driver theres really no rush, just looking to get my nova before the summer. Ill keep everyone updated on what I find, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a '66 Corvair Corsa, sight-unseen, once off of eBay. It was just as nice as advertised and it was full of extra parts. I later sold it for more than I paid for it.

I bought a couple of other cars, but they were quite a bit more money. One was a few states away. I drove down, checked it out and then wired him the rest of the money (after initial deposit) When I bought my Nova it was only 4.5 hours away. I drove down, test drove it, wrote him a check and he canceled the auction before it was over.

The biggest thing to remember is, if you win the auction and send a deposit, most people have in their auctions that the deposits "are non-refundable."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts