Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
i got my headliner kit from classic industries and i pretty much followed this write up http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372

the only thing i would change is stretch and clip the whole thing in (and get all the wrinkles out) and then glue it in, i used some 3m weatherstripping yellow glue, dont use yellow glue, use BLACK. the glue i used was very sticky so be careful not to get it on anything.

i didnt get all the wrinkles out in the pics but i spent a fair amount of time working the headliner to get it smooth

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i got my headliner kit from classic industries and i pretty much followed this write up http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372

the only thing i would change is stretch and clip the whole thing in (and get all the wrinkles out) and then glue it in, i used some 3m weatherstripping yellow glue, dont use yellow glue, use BLACK. the glue i used was very sticky so be careful not to get it on anything.

i didnt get all the wrinkles out in the pics but i spent a fair amount of time working the headliner to get it smooth

So did you just hang the whole thing then started pulling! or was there specific place you started from? what type of glue did you use to hold it. I saw some youtube videos were they used contact cement then theres were others that used spray tach glue but they never explained the whole process? I think ima raid my office for as many of these clips :devil:. Did you use a heat gun for the wrinkles? Or how did the wrinkles come out?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

I can tell you how I did it in my 66...

After you have it on the bows and centered on the roof. Oh yeah and don't cut any holes till after the install then you can feel around and get the holes precise.
I used 3M spray adhesive for upholstery. It sets in a few minutes and bonds almost instantly. For tools I used a putty knife and pick a starting point front or back. I chose the back.
Spray adhesive on the edge of roof and I also did in the groove where you will tuck in the headliner. You have to move quick and it's a bit of a shoulder work out but starting in the center of the headliner in back or front pull the liner real tight, you want to see the stitching in the headliner. It can really stretch so don't hold back tighter the better. Once it's stretched take your putty knife and tuck the headliner under the edge. I used 1 inch pieces of windlace to secure the spot. From the center go left or right and stretch the headliner consistently tight. I found it helpful to pet/smooth headliner while pulling and tucking. Once you go left and right go to the front and repeat starting in the center and going left and right. Then do the sides in the same fashion.

I stapled the headliner to the thing under the sail panel.

Key things 3M adhesive- pull tight and tuck- windlace to clip it in place so you can see your progress as you go.

Once it's installed I let the glue sit over night. Then I trimmed the excess material and put on the wind lace. I have never done before then and I was instructed by an upholsterer that has been in the business for over 30 years. He would have done it for me but he had his second shoulder operations and doesn't do headliners because it is a shoulder workout because your hands are constantly overhead. He gave it an inspection and didn't think he could do any better so I think that's pretty good!

Once you get going you will get into a tuck and jam rhythm.

Hope this helps any other questions I can try to help. I am not an expert but I think I what my personal attempt had good results!

Good luck...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

Oh yeah and if you can get a steamer once you finish the install steam it and pet to stretch it a little more.

If you follow my way of doing it the headliner is tight like a drum!

Brian

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can tell you how I did it in my 66...

After you have it on the bows and centered on the roof. Oh yeah and don't cut any holes till after the install then you can feel around and get the holes precise.
I used 3M spray adhesive for upholstery. It sets in a few minutes and bonds almost instantly. For tools I used a putty knife and pick a starting point front or back. I chose the back.
Spray adhesive on the edge of roof and I also did in the groove where you will tuck in the headliner. You have to move quick and it's a bit of a shoulder work out but starting in the center of the headliner in back or front pull the liner real tight, you want to see the stitching in the headliner. It can really stretch so don't hold back tighter the better. Once it's stretched take your putty knife and tuck the headliner under the edge. I used 1 inch pieces of windlace to secure the spot. From the center go left or right and stretch the headliner consistently tight. I found it helpful to pet/smooth headliner while pulling and tucking. Once you go left and right go to the front and repeat starting in the center and going left and right. Then do the sides in the same fashion.

I stapled the headliner to the thing under the sail panel.

Key things 3M adhesive- pull tight and tuck- windlace to clip it in place so you can see your progress as you go.

Once it's installed I let the glue sit over night. Then I trimmed the excess material and put on the wind lace. I have never done before then and I was instructed by an upholsterer that has been in the business for over 30 years. He would have done it for me but he had his second shoulder operations and doesn't do headliners because it is a shoulder workout because your hands are constantly overhead. He gave it an inspection and didn't think he could do any better so I think that's pretty good!

Once you get going you will get into a tuck and jam rhythm.

Hope this helps any other questions I can try to help. I am not an expert but I think I what my personal attempt had good results!

Good luck...
could you post some pics of your headliner!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

I don't have any pictures of my headliner sorry. I can get you some in about a week if you can wait. The clips in the pictures the guy is using looks like a good idea. It's the same as the wind lace idea that I use. I didn't clip mine up I started with it hanging because you need all the material to get a good grip and pull to tuck under the lip if your car has the same sort of lip. Even if you are going to only glue it to the roof and not the lip you need the extra material to grip and pull. It's the only way to get it real tight. I didn't glue under the lip on the windshield because I didn't want to get glue on it so I only sprayed the sealing and taped off the glass.

PUI has a video I think on youtube. It's a Dodge car but it's the same basic technique...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

Also I was advised to let the headliner hang for a couple days once you take it out of the package letting it stretch out helps get the wrinkles from the packaging out...

Brian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

Not sure about that... The upholsterer just said to hang it because of when they pack it they just fold it up and if you let it hang for a couple of days it relaxes it. Just like when you do your carpet take it out of the box work it in the floor shape and let it sit a day or two and presto it should just drop in.
Mine did at least and I had a floor hump to line up with.

I pm'ed you I can send you a pic of my interior. I did it myself with some instruction and my Father-in-law for an extra set of hands...

Brian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

here are the links to the PUI install videos. They are not exactly what I did but they are professionals. I didn't cut any material until it was all installed then went around cut after. Some bits you might have to cut along the way to make fit like corners or angles. You can see the gist of how it's done...

Brian

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The PUI videos are great and will give you the "proper procedure". You can make some changes depending on what you have available. I use spray on
3M adhesive that I get from the upholstery shop. They buy it by the gallon(s) and I normally use less than a pint.

Walt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headliner...

I used the 3M spray and glued some of that insulation pad on the ceiling. I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I did.

Brian

1 - 20 of 51 Posts