Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap pair of headers on my Nova. They do the job but I'm thinking of replacing them with something nicer. I realize all headers have some of that "tinny" noise that is normally absorbed by the thicker, heavier iron manifolds. Now that I've quieted down my exhaust, I can really hear it on these cheap headers. Are there any heavier gauge headers that reduce this?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i think that the std sounds an engine makes that you won't really REALLY notice much difference...

i don't think the results would warrant the cash for a different set... it would be minor sound differences...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I read on the headers by Ed website that welding both sides of the flange makes headers quieter. Probably warp the crap out of finished ones though. Maybe if one bolted them onto a old cylinder head and welded the outside?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I'm no header expert,but i know sheetmetal(i own a bodyshop). Perhaps you can dampen the sound by attaching something to them to take the "rattle" out of them? Insulation,magnets,or something that won't be effected by the heat that will change the frequency.
Good luck,
Leftcoast Carl.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard wrapping headers can dampen the noise but header wrap is hard on headers. My cheapie headers are likely 18 gauge. The flanges are thin. Hedman Elites on the other han are a stout 14 guage with thicker flanges. I just don't want to lay out the cash if it wouldn't do any good.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
That is the sound I really like. Years ago, I put on quiet mufflers so I
could hear that. To me, that is what I would like to hear, especially if
if engine was high compression... a nice "plink" is what I would call it.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
wrapping the headers can cause them to rust quicker from what i've heard... never wrapped a set myself so i have no direct experience with that...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Along with rust issues, header wrap can lead to metal fatigue. The wrap holds the heat in, as its designed to do, but causes the header tubes to run hot enough to damge them in some cases. I don't mind the plinky tinny sound at idle hear and there, but when I accelerate at part throttle it gets in the way of the exhaust note and bugs me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts