Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a 12.5-1 383 on 115 race gas.26 initial(big cam)36 degrees total timing.Runs good now...Would I make more power with a bit more total timing? Before I try it would just like some opinions.Thanks!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
All you can do is test, every combination is different, as is every different brand and grade of fuel. Cylinder head chamber shape has a lot to do with it also.
That's why nobody will just be able to say "yeah, jack it up to 40° and it'll go like stink" and guarantee it will be the ideal point.
You've also got to test timing and jetting together....just adding more timing it might slow down, but adding more jet and more timing it might go faster yet

·
Registered
767 Posts
All you can do is test, every combination is different, as is every different brand and grade of fuel. Cylinder head chamber shape has a lot to do with it also.
That's why nobody will just be able to say "yeah, jack it up to 40° and it'll go like stink" and guarantee it will be the ideal point.
You've also got to test timing and jetting together....just adding more timing it might slow down, but adding more jet and more timing it might go faster yet
That's what is meant when you hear about "tuning" your combination. It is becoming a lost art.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Generally speaking the higher the compression the less ign lead the engine wants/needs.
That said, your "big cam" will probably bleed-off a point of that static CR. Leaving me to wonder if you need ($$$) 115?
If this is a street-driven car have you considered E-85?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I agree with what bracketchev said. You want to run the lowest number of octane that your combination allows before detonation. People think that high octane race fuel makes more power...but it doesn’t.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree that the 115 is likely too much. What cylinder heads? They play a large role in total timing needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts