Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal....After breaking in the cam and lifters, I took her out for a spin...just around a few blocks...Cause I'm running open headers....I got on it a wee bit but it didn't sound so great....I got home and put a timing light on it and the timing mark on the balancer was at 12:00 oclock...I brought it down to 0 on the tab...but it backfired when I let off the throttle....I had the vaccum off the dist. also...what mark on the tab should I set the timing mark too ??? I set the lean on both side's of the carb and adjusted the rpm to 1500 at idle..........The engine is a 327 from a 68 camaro......Anyone ??. Thank you.........

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dist. is old school....new but old school...coil is new.. no tape on the balancer..but I scraped the line so it's clearly visable....I retarded the timing about one mark on the tab..so it would fire before tdc.....I was wondering how many degrees one mark on the tab was...of if I was in the ballpark..

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the normal idle....It's about 14 to 1500 rpm now....Let me know please ..My tach's not the most expensive either....but It should be close....

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hopefully your balancer hasn't spun causing the wrong timing readings.
Please explaine..I'm not sure what you mean by the balancer being spun......damn...I hope I didn't f u something up during my break in...

·
Registered
508 Posts
the balancer is a two peice part witch is held together by a piece of rubber in the midle. the top half can spin when the ruber gets old from the bottom. rpm with the motor and the top cant keep up. any slight movement from the stock location will through your timing off. depending on your timing tab most marks are 2 deg each. do you have an adjustable timing light? if not you need to get one, they are very important for tuning any engine that isnt stock. if possible can you post pics of you tab and balancer so we can see what your working with?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll take pic this morning.....And the timing light is a dinosaur..My neighbor loaned it to me...I'll see if I can find something else...The parts store didn't rent them.......The engine is a 68...I don't know how long it was sitting ...I bought it from my superintendent on a job I was working on....He didn't say how long it had been sitting...I completely rebuilt it from the ground up...everthing remains stock...as far as internal.....It was bored 30 over....It has a performer intake and a 1400 ser Edelbrock carb...headers....after that,,, it's mostly stock....Like I said...I'll take photos and fire it up so you can hear it....thanks again...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out this morning and took this photo.....The marks were painted over so I took a sharpie and remarked them for the photo....Hope this helps...When I put the timing light on it yesterday....The mark on the damper was approx. at the fifth mark to the left of 0....

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-05-17

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
With the idle at 700 rpm the timing will be lower, and it's probably retarded. Depending on the advance curve, you could see several degrees difference between 700 and 1500 rpm. Can you borrow a dial-back style timing light so you can watch how it changes?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the idle at 700 rpm the timing will be lower, and it's probably retarded. Depending on the advance curve, you could see several degrees difference between 700 and 1500 rpm. Can you borrow a dial-back style timing light so you can watch how it changes?
A few thing I have to ask.....when you say lower..what exactly are you refering too ? and not sure what you mean by advance curve...I'll lower the rpm to 700 today when the streets come alive...It's still early...And I guess I might have to purchase a good timing light....I don't know anyone that I could borrow one from....like I said..The one my neighbor lent me is a dinosaus.....I'll spend the entire day working on it if I have too...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
when you say lower..what exactly are you refering too ?
The amount of advance; as the rpm changes, so does the timing. If you had about 8° at 1500 rpm, it could be on the retarded side at only 700. You need to check the initial timing at the correct idle speed. Try getting about 12-15° at 700 rpm and see how it runs.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you.....I droped the rpm...held strong at 700...I bought a new timing light....inexpensive one I might add.....Timing mark on damper was about three marks to the left of 0.....Sounded good but I won't know untill I drive it....I also removed the vaccum line from the dist. and pluged it while setting the timing..I hope this is the right procedure......Thanks again...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts