Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I instaled new wires on my 194 2 days ago, and reset the timing to 8BTDC, but it jumped timing a couple of degrees.It seems to jump a little after I rev the engine. What gives? I set the timing when it's warm/hot, and it seems to run OK, but I can tell when it jumps, due to the backfiring out the pipes. I've reset it again today, and will see what happens tomorrow after I run it. Any ideas whats going on? Plugs are good, and clean, cap is good as is rotor. I have the Ignitor kit in the distributor.
Thanks for help.

·
Registered
577 Posts
check to see if the mechanical advance is sticking or binding up. Also did you set the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected?

Dan

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
its in the distributor.. its not JUMPING time which would mean the cam gear and crank gear have problems...

is the distributor moving? and your having to move it back to the position you had previously move it to?.... or are you having to move the distributor each time and advancing it each time to a new position?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the dist is moving, as I've got the hold-down clamp tight. I just got home after a long drive, and checked the timing, and it was off again. I pulled the vacuum line off the dash pot, and it don't feel like there is any vacuum, and the idle.timing never changed. Reset the timing to 8btdc, revved it a little, and it's off again. Could this be the reason the car gets hot so quick? Also, 2 years ago, took the car to Prescott, and it ran fine going there. Coming back, got half way over Mingus Mountain, it started coughing and sputtering, and died right in the middle of the road, on a hill, AND a curve! I pushed it off the road, sat there for about 11/2 hours, till it cooled down, and it started again. It was cranking fine, but wouldn't start, and it hasn't done it again(knock on wood). Up until then, it has never done anything but run good.
Any help would be appreciated,as I would like to take it on longer trips sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Sounds like your dizzy gear has issues. Pull the dizzy out and check the gear. Make sure its not worn or that the shear pin has not come out or has sheared off. One other thing to check... Check and make sure the rotor can't move on the shaft (I have seen this one other time). You can do a quick check. Take the cap off and grab the rotor and try to rotate it. If you can, then you need to remove the dizzy and inspect it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
check the end play in the distributor, it should be .009 I have seen them as high as .043, this will cause cam walking and timing change's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey slickman, I checked to see if I could turn the rotor, and it wont turn. Dumb question for ya. How do you check end play? I know the basics, but I've always had some issues with distributors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts