Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well, I had to get a new engine block cause the other one was cracked. Started reassembling the parts, I got to the cam, and when I put the timing gear on the cam without the chain, and the cam is pushed in all the way, it doesn't line up with the bottom sprocket. it's about an 1/8" closer to the block then the bottom gear. Is there supposed to be a spacer or a bearing/bushing in between the block and the top cam gear? Or is it suppose to be that way? It wasn't that way on the other block. Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
novaracer1 said:
Hey guys,

Well, I had to get a new engine block cause the other one was cracked. Started reassembling the parts, I got to the cam, and when I put the timing gear on the cam without the chain, and the cam is pushed in all the way, it doesn't line up with the bottom sprocket. it's about an 1/8" closer to the block then the bottom gear. Is there supposed to be a spacer or a bearing/bushing in between the block and the top cam gear? Or is it suppose to be that way? It wasn't that way on the other block. Thanks

Dave
Do you have the bottom gear on backwards?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It shouldn't have a bearing unless it's a roller cam, and there are no other spacers that I'm aware of...

Darrell

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I have ran a Bearing behind the Cam Gear before and it was about a 1/8" Thick.But it sounds like you removed the Parts from another engine,there was not a Bearing there?When I ran the Bearing I also ran a Cam Button.
Joe

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe said:
I have ran a Bearing behind the Cam Gear before and it was about a 1/8" Thick.But it sounds like you removed the Parts from another engine,there was not a Bearing there?When I ran the Bearing I also ran a Cam Button.
Joe
no there wasn't a bearing on the other block. This new block is a targetmaster "M" block. Please tell me that, that's not the problem. Because if it is I will be one pi**ed off "M"other f***er.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The cam "floats" in the cam bores. The cam lobes have tapers so the lifters spin. These are angled in opposing directions so the cam isn't forced in or out.
The chain is sufficient to keep it aligned with the sprocket.

Too bad about your cracked block. I'm feeling that pain myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts