Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can still get a quality Morse style link timing chain and gear set? I know comp has one but anything out there with an iwis chain or something equivalent. No double roller. This is for a 400 hp 327. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Does anyone know if you can still get a quality Morse style link timing chain and gear set? I know comp has one but anything out there with an iwis chain or something equivalent. No double roller. This is for a 400 hp 327. Thanks guys!
Is there a specific reason you want that style or a sanctioning body that requires the old-style timing set? Just curious of the reasoning behind not using a high-quality double-roller set like Cloyes... Or similar.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts

Maybe this?

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks, I was told years ago a double roller isn’t necessarily needed and that the single Morse style was smoother and quieter. Maybe wrong but just out of curiosity I thought I’d ask.
That's hogwash, been using Cloyes double roller Street True Roller timing sets for over 35 years and never heard a peep, and the NAPA one is 100.00 vs 37.00 for the Cloyes through Summit for a far better chain/gears.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
That's hogwash, been using Cloyes double roller Street True Roller timing sets for over 35 years and never heard a peep, and the NAPA one is 100.00 vs 37.00 for the Cloyes through Summit for a far better chain/gears.
Ditto!!!

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
155 Posts
I had a Pete Jackson gear drive, the “noisey “ one in the Nova I had as a kid for a short time. I liked it at the time because it was loud. Non car people thought something was wrong with my car. I liked that. Now, I would probably find it annoying since they don’t do anything productive and just make noise.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
I had a Pete Jackson gear drive, the “noisey “ one in the Nova I had as a kid for a short time. I liked it at the time because it was loud. Non car people thought something was wrong with my car. I liked that. Now, I would probably find it annoying since they don’t do anything productive and just make noise.
Forehead Smile Happy Cool Font

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha you nailed it!!! During the late 90s so many people had 5.0 mustangs with flowmasters and bad power steering pumps. The ford guys thought they were bad ass but they barely got into the 14s at the track!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Summit or Speedway Motors or Jegs are your best bets.

RockAuto.com is good too, but with one caveat. Unless you like gambling and feel lucky, avoid the "private label packaging" or "wholesale closeout" parts for timing sets. Those items on RockAuto.com aren't always what they say they are. Sometimes they are junk. They are pretty good about refunds if you get misrepresented junk, if you go to the trouble to research and provide proof when you ask for the refund. Although once I got an American made timing set that was way better than the Cloyes set that they claimed it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts