Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking for a friend but will a double roller timing chain for a SBC work on a TPI? If anyone has any info let me know thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can run a double roller chain on a TPI engine. It is a little noisier than the OE chain. A TPI engine will have a knock sensor that screws into the coolant plug location in the block. It is very sensitive to any noise in the bottom end of the block. The ECM will interprete noise as detonation and remove ignition timing to prevent engine damage. Understandably, this does effect performance. Two rounds of teflon tape and installing it with just enough torque to seal off will cut down on the sensitivity.

I've torn down engines with a cheap double roller and the amount of wear was about the same as an OE timing chain. I would chose an OE style chain over a cheap double roller. If you are not getting extended life, why spend the extra money? A quality double roller is a different story. (I've seen the factory 351 double rollers pass the 100,000 mile mark with very little stretch. I've seen the same with GM's single roller.)
Obviously, there is a TPI set up in my car. I have a '94 350 block with OE type roller hydraulic camshaft so I chose to retain the GM single roller chain. It is a very durable and quiet running part. The '87 & up roller hydraulic and earlier flat tappet chains do not interchange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts