Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my crank gear on and was going to install the cam gear and timing chain but the bolt holes on the cam and gear aren't lineing up. If I take the chain off the gear and mount the cam gear on the cam the bolt holes and dowel are perfectly aligned.

Any I idea whats going on here? The block has been align honed but I thought that aligned honed blocks sometimes need a shorter timing chain. Mine looks like it needs a longer chain. When I was mounting the chain and the gear I had to bring the cam dowel off of the 3 o'clock position to line the gear up properly. The dowel was in between 3 and 4.

This is a SBC. The timing set is a Comp Cams. What do you think, try another timing chain.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i dont think any thing is wrong it might be something your doing is the crank sproket all the way seated try putting the cam dowl down and putting on the cam gear and chain. the only way that it would be to short is if the block had a higher cam center line but i dont think you have that block :no: you may have the cam in the wrong spot

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have the cam in the 3 o'clock position and the cam gear and chain just don't line up to mount the cam gear correctly. I have tried the cam in different positions and this did not help.

The crank gear looks and sounds bottomed out, I guess I could check it again.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
The crank gear may need to be out a little. Put the chain on both gears. Push them both in and onto the cam keeping the chain parallel. A little bind front to back tends to make the chain act shorter.

New chains tend to act shorter also. A little oil & rolling the chain around the cam gear before assembly may help also.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
From what we have seen with the GM blocks this maybe true, Cloyes makes a .005 over chain if needed.

Remember GM rough bores their cam tunnel and under size bearings are installed and line bores to the correct demension and placement.

We have seen cam tunnel off .016 before, Try to buy a new GM replacement block and they all come with cam bearings and we have taken the cam bearings out and stood them up on the bench and they will roll to the heavy side.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on the timing chain. I pulled the crank gear back and tried knocking the crank gear and timing chain in together that didn't work. I then tapered a couple of bolts and started one good cam bolt then started the tapered bolts and the cam gear fit up.

The timing chain just need a helping hand:D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts