Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having been bitten by the Nova bug I now have another ailment, the LS bug. As I can't resist any decent temptation :devil: , I have given in. My '74 is about to become a whole new car.
I am now the proud owner of a 2004 GTO LS1 and 4L65e and I am facing all the choices and options involved with installing it in my 3rd gen Nova.
Good thing there are so many tips, tricks and techies here to learn from.
I am also going to try something new and make a photo journal of the process.

So bear with me, hope my wife doesn't shoot me and watch it come together. :D

Still in the shipping wrap.

It's like Christmas unwrapping this!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too have been bitten, recently purchased an LS for my wagon. Now if I could ever get the body done.... Engine looks good, will look even better in your car.

Paul

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ls engines are the new mass produced performance engines today, Much like old SBC's where 20+years ago. But some people will always love that old heavy metal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! You wont regret it for sure. I have no regrets on swapping mine. Don't know how similar the 74 is to the 71, but if you have any questions during the swap, hit me up.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm super excited for this install. The Holley/Hooker stuff look pretty good for the motor plates, headers and oil pan. Not sure what everyone else is running. My car is lowered a bit so a deep pan or low header collectors are a worry for me. I bought it on eBay from a place in PA called Contemporary Corvette. Going to get it on the stand and pull the bearing caps for some piece of mind, but so far it looks good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might want to have a look at my build thread. I'm doing basically the same swap as you. You can see what parts I used and what troubles I ran into.
I have bookmarked your build thread, it's very thorough. I especially like the table of contents. makes it so much easier to find things like the oil pan notes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got some time to do some work on the drivetrain after work today. I split the engine and transmission, pulled the old small block off the stand and put the LS on it. I pulled the oil pan as I have a buyer for it already, that will help with the $$ for a swap pan. I'm planning on going with the Holley 302-2 pan. Hopefully this is the start of some real progress. I've decided not to pull out the small block until I have the swap parts all here, then at least I can still take a couple of cruises :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
FYI, The GTO alt. is a little bigger than others and it did not fit in my car, (hit the frame).. So I switch to a smaller one like a Tahoe. Good luck on the build and there are plenty of people here to help

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI, The GTO alt. is a little bigger than others and it did not fit in my car, (hit the frame).. So I switch to a smaller one like a Tahoe. Good luck on the build and there are plenty of people here to help
Thanks for the heads up I saw that in Rquad's build also. Wondering about notching the frame and getting it to fit, but I am looking at a different alternator as the best way to go. Did you have to change the rear alt bracket too? It's great having so many people experienced in this to give good advice. I am really hoping to pull all the stuff that fits into my build the first time and not have to rework it.
Chris

·
Registered
522 Posts
Walk towards the light

You will love that LS motor. Put one in my 67 Chevelle 2 years and 7000 miles ago. Love it.

Once you walk away from that dark side and start towards the light "don't look back.

Oh yeah, here in Mesa. 115* yesterday. Yeah

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the heads up I saw that in Rquad's build also. Wondering about notching the frame and getting it to fit, but I am looking at a different alternator as the best way to go. Did you have to change the rear alt bracket too? It's great having so many people experienced in this to give good advice. I am really hoping to pull all the stuff that fits into my build the first time and not have to rework it.
Chris

Congrats on your build. I too have a LS from a 2004 GTO. I kept the GTO alternator and bracket but I went with notching out the frame. I also notched out the frame on the other side for a Sanden AC. I've got pics if you want them.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts