Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a statement I made just a few days ago in another thread...

I have an 8.5" with stock posi, 3.73 gears, Moser 28 spline axles, and a girdle cover. It has held up with zero problems so far...
Irony - incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result

I went to the dragstrip today, and my car was pulling to the left really badly. I actually ended up in the opposite lane after the finish line. So, when I got home, I took a peek at the axle housing. I could see some paint flaking at the spring perch weld, and it looked like the weld was cracking. The perch was also pretty deformed at the back:

After I pulled the housing and brushed the welds, it was pretty obvious that the perch had started pulling away from the axle tube:

So it looks like I'll be replacing the perches, and this time I will box them at the ends to beef them up some. Looks like I dodged a serious problem before it got too bad.

Here are a couple pictures from my runs (unfortunately I inadvertently switched my GoPro camera from video to photo mode, so I missed some hairy action)

Everything is fine at the launch

You can see here that the nose isn't straight anymore:

and after the finish line I was in the opposite lane:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
When I changed from Multi leaf to mono leaf I changed the spring pads. Worked well as I went to a 3 leaf spring. I have no idea where i got them. These have a HD 1/4 inch plate in them. (they must be for a HD trailer axle)
I most likely got them from a Dexter Axle dealer, Carolina Rim & Wheel.

They have been under the car for quite a few years, live a hard life!:devil:

These do have a larger contact area to the housing.
Hope this helps.

Al

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
While the welds are bad I don't see how they would make the car swap lanes. You may want to check the centering stud/bolts and all your spring bushings and mounts. Cracked welds and distorted bracket shouldn't make the car wander the way I'm thinking. Just a thought. RM

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm with Al. Those pads do not wrap around the axle tube enough. If they were supported with a flat piece of steel from ends to the tube they would have been fine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.. You may want to check the centering stud/bolts and all your spring bushings and mounts. ... RM
Great advice. My first guess was that my 4* shims may have slipped or even fallen out. When I first looked at the mounts, there was a gap between the leaf and the front of both perches, yet the axle tube u-bolts were tight. I loosened the u-bolts, and first noticed that the centering holes in the perches were egg-shaped. Then I noticed the cracked welds, and the perches were no longer flat. The aluminum shims had shiny places on the top, and the axle tubes were shiny under the u-bolts. It looks like the differential was able to rotate to some degree.

I'll get back under there and check my spring bushings, Cal-Trac bars, etc to see if anything else is loose. I plan to shop around tomorrow for some new spring perches. Hopefully I'll be able to find some heavy duty ones like Al was showing. Or at the least, I'll beef up the Moroso ones by boxing the ends.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
When I got my nova and had it at my friends bodyshop we found out the perches were cracked on all four corners and one was so bad it was leaking gear oil. Mind you the car had gone low nines in the quarter so that was a lucky find.
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts