Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. My old 68 has four wheel drum brakes still, after years of driving around with them I've really gotten tired of it. I think its time for an upgrade.

I plan on getting a different rear end later on, so for now I'm only trying to convert the front. I have a kit picked out on ss396 and wanted y'alls opinion on it before I pull the trigger. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

The kit I picked out: https://www.ss396.com/nova/AFXDC32DS.html

What else would I need? Do you think this is something I could myself? (Is it easy?) Have you done this before and can give any tips?
Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's a nice kit, but do you really need the overkill calipers for a street car if you're coming from drums? You can save $200+ if you go with regular OE-style calipers, pads, and rotors.

I have this kit on my Nova, and I was very pleased with the kit as a whole. I got it with the 2" drop spindles up front.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I did this kit to my fronts on my 72, kept rear drums. Works great, full tight pedal. I did also buy their other auction for a "Corvette" style manual disc/drum master cylinder with proportioning valve. Great kit for the price of $550. Do have to have a couple of adapters for the brake lines. I ended making up a new front left brake line as the fitting was junk and would not stop leaking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVELLE-NOVA-CAMARO-STOCK-SPINDLE-WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT/282387114332?fits=Model:Nova&epid=25006317089&hash=item41bf95695c:g:-FgAAOSw~bFWHBay

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would suggest replacing the brake lines while you are doing the conversion. When I converted to disc brakes I replaced both brake lines too.

I did not use a kit. I modified my drum spindle to accept the disc set up. That was the hardest part of the job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a nice kit, but do you really need the overkill calipers for a street car if you're coming from drums? You can save $200+ if you go with regular OE-style calipers, pads, and rotors.

I have this kit on my Nova, and I was very pleased with the kit as a whole. I got it with the 2" drop spindles up front.
I picked these because I figured the D&S rotor with that wilwood caliper would look really nice tucked behind that wheel. Do you really think its over kill? I didnt think you could over kill with brakes. Im so used to unpowered drums I might really like the overkill haha. but it is tempting to go with the cheaper option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this kit to my fronts on my 72, kept rear drums. Works great, full tight pedal. I did also buy their other auction for a "Corvette" style manual disc/drum master cylinder with proportioning valve. Great kit for the price of $550. Do have to have a couple of adapters for the brake lines. I ended making up a new front left brake line as the fitting was junk and would not stop leaking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVELLE-NOVA-CAMARO-STOCK-SPINDLE-WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT/282387114332?fits=Model:Nova&epid=25006317089&hash=item41bf95695c:g:-FgAAOSw~bFWHBay
I would suggest replacing the brake lines while you are doing the conversion. When I converted to disc brakes I replaced both brake lines too.

I did not use a kit. I modified my drum spindle to accept the disc set up. That was the hardest part of the job.
Okay! I guess i can try to re-use my lines but I might be better off replacing them it seems. should I order lines from ss396 too?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I replaced the stock rotors on my daily driver (2008 Malibu) with slotted and drilled rotors. I didn't care about looks or stopping power, but was tired of the stock rotors warping so frequently.

I can't tell that drilled/slotted rotors make *any* difference in stopping power. I have since read that you can't turn drilled rotors, and that drilled rotors really only make a difference if you're taking the car to the track where you're repeatedly on the brakes for extended periods.

If you're doing it for looks - go for it. If you're concerned with stopping power, I think just the conversion to disc is enough and may save you some cash.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I picked these because I figured the D&S rotor with that wilwood caliper would look really nice tucked behind that wheel. Do you really think its over kill? I didnt think you could over kill with brakes. Im so used to unpowered drums I might really like the overkill haha. but it is tempting to go with the cheaper option.
Drilled and slotted rotors are actually more prone to cracking and warping, you're better off going with a solid rotor for a street car. For race cars, where brakes are disposable per race, the slots and holes help mitigate all the outgassing from pads and dissipate heat, but at the cost of longevity. But... if you're just slowing down from 60mph, you don't need it to slow the rotation of the earth.

The 4-piston calipers are rad and will definitely bite well, but again, if you still have the drums in the back, you'll overpower the front and the car will want to "rotate" more in a hard braking situation.

Long story short: if you're just looking to cruise the car around town and goofing around a little, an OE setup with good pads and solid rotors are a better fit for both budget and use. If you're going autocrossing and don't mind spending a lot of cash on brakes, and you're doing the same treatment to the rear, then go with the setup you originally posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Y'all are right. after reading yalls replys and talking to some people I think the wilwood set up would be a little much. and its really hard on my budget being in college and all. So I have a few more questions.

Now I'm looking at a 500-550$ kit. some offer a 9 inch booster, and a 11 inch booster. Other than size whats the difference? how does the size affect how it works or does it not at all? One day I do plan on going with a bigger cam, A good bit bigger. (I'm not sure actual sizes right now) How would this effect how my booster works? Would it be a huge issue or dismiss able? Would the size of the booster tie into that?

Secondly, What is a two inch drop spindle? thats basically saying its lowering
the car 2 inches right?

Thanks for all the help so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts