Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished it up last Friday nite, just in time for a couple hundred mile cruise Saturday.

Phase 3 was to be a/c only, but we got a little carried away, added a new radiator, Spal fans, and a little paint to the engine compartment and dash. Installed kick panel speakers and a new radio, but it was still finished before September. :D Just barely!

The a/c unit is Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum with the Streamline 3 knob control panel. The refrigerant hose is E-Z Clip Aeroquip hose and fittings. After routing the heater hose, refrigerant hose, and vent/defrost hose, there is absolutely no room left under the dash! But as promised it does fit and work. Blows 38 degree air out the vents with 95 degree outside temperature!

Rich

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Ron. I cheated. I had a mock up unit for the Magnum, didn't have to measure. Did I mention it's tight? It's for sure 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag, but I did save my same cut down glove box that I used from the old unit. It pinches off the right side defroster a little, but there is plenty of air. If you are using a 3 vent unit, you must have the 4 knob controller? Far as I know only the Magnum uses the 3 knob blend control panel.

Rich

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a '99 VW/Porsche yellow, hard to get a picture of. About like the black dash with billet. I'm not much of a photographer. :eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's a '99 VW/Porsche yellow, hard to get a picture of. About like the black dash with billet. I'm not much of a photographer. :eek:
I wasn't sure if it was a butternut.:confused: It's a bit brighter.:cool:
I really like it.:D:beer:
I'll have to do some serious thinking on what color mine is going to be.:confused:
Your photography is darn good in my books.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You need to vacuum out the interior! :p :D

Look like the lines of the compressor come pretty close to the sides,
any chance of those lines rubbing when the move a little from torque?

Scott

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So is that a hydraboost behind the M/C? If so, how do you like it?
You don't have any shots of the a/c with the glove box out do you?
Tg
Yes it's a hydraboost, and I love it. Best brakes I've ever had on the car, of course I went from manual 4 wheel discs to the hydraboost and power steering, totally different driving car. It steers and stops now. ;) That was Phase 2.

I took some pictures of the a/c thru the glove box opening but they are dark. Nothing there to look at really, just a black box. What's the question?

Scott, Yes I do,,,and no, unless I break a motor mount.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Rich, did you happen to get any mounting/bracketry pictures? Did you have to do any welding under the dash?

And as always, looks great.;)

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I took some pictures of the a/c thru the glove box opening but they are dark. Nothing there to look at really, just a black box. What's the question?
My vintage air setup has several years on it. Thinking about installing the gen iv. With the current vintage air setup I have enough room to mount my FAST ecm above the a/c and behind the glove box liner. Curious if the gen iv will have the same amount of room above it?

Next question... are you using the wilwood calipers and rotors?

Tg

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My vintage air setup has several years on it. Thinking about installing the gen iv. With the current vintage air setup I have enough room to mount my FAST ecm above the a/c and behind the glove box liner. Curious if the gen iv will have the same amount of room above it?

Next question... are you using the wilwood calipers and rotors?

Tg
Tom the only place there is any room is above the unit towards the firewall on the right hand side. The top right corner of the blower housing is up at the old air inlet from the cowl, but that leaves a couple inches to the left where the unit and the dash flatten out that is not being used. I'm not sure how big the fast ecm is, but if it's a couple of cig packs wide and high it should fit. Remember I have a 63, don't have a clue what's under the dash of a 66-67. I was able to run my right vent duct above the glove box and down the pass side to the vent, not sure how that would work in your car. That could leave room for your ecm behind it. Remember if you mount the Magnum that far to the right you are committed to taking all 4 lines outside of the inner fender panel. There is no way you can bring them into the engine compartment thru the firewall.

The brakes are stock off the shelf camaro in front, Lincoln in the rear. I can't put enough tire on the ground (225's or 215's) to take advantage of the Wilwoods in my opinion. The car flat stops, it does not run out of brakes, it runs out of tire, if that makes any sense.

Rich

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rich,
The install looks very good, I'm a little curious on how it will fit in the 66-67 cars too. I was expecting to use the Gen II compac, this may be something to look into as i'm wondering if the earlier cars had a smaller dash area. Something else on your hydroboost, i see your not running the stock front end, do you think the hydroboost would clear with the stock shock tower front end?
Thanks for your posts
FLD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.