Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Tilt steering an option on 3rd Gen Novas? I have heard numerous opinions on this.

·
13,977 Posts
Was Tilt steering an option on 3rd Gen Novas? I have heard numerous opinions on this.
1973 was the first year a tilt steering wheel was a Nova option. It was RPO N33 and was called 'Comfortilt Steering Wheel.'

Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with Bob, that's an "attaboy" Bob!!:)

It was the 1973 with RPO N33 Comfortilt Steering Wheel.:yes:
I saw this on NovaResource.Org, in Doug Marion's book "Chevy II/Nova" and on the original 1973 Nova brochure.:D

Gary

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not meaning to hijack, but since we are on the subject of tilt wheel...

Would there be a tilt that would fit a 68'? (no ing. on column)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
wow thats good to know that 68-72 novas were not offered with tilt steering from the factory. however, i do know that a 69 camaro tilt column will fit a Nova though....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Once again, not to be hijacking 406Boy's thread but he is probably interested ion this matter too.:)

lmonkey and bigdaddykane, I think what ioldnut was looking for a tilt column that would look stock in his 1968 Nova with the dash ignition. The 67 or 68 Camaro tilt steering column (w/o ignition switch) would match and fit. Yes, the 69 Camaro column would fit but would not match. Yes, you could get a ididit column and paint it black but is is still not stock looking.:yes:

Also the 67-68 f-body Firebird with tilt column would also fit. This is according to the "Chevrolet Parts Interchange Manual" book by Paul Herd.
3-speed manual on columnw/tilt -2 (GM part #7803602),7 (GM part #7803567)-
Powerglide on coumn w/tilt -5 (GM part #7803778)-
3 or 4-speed manual on floor w/tilt -3 (GM part #7803777)-
Turbo Hydramatic on colum w/tilt -5- (GM part #7803778)

Gary:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nightshade,

Yes, the 1973 Pontiac Ventura and the 1973 Buick Apollo (X-body car like Novas) had the tilt steering column option. But I believe, like CdnL79 Registry said, in X-bodies like the Nova, this was not an option until 1973.

Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
1968 Tilt

Once again, not to be hijacking 406Boy's thread but he is probably interested ion this matter too.:)

lmonkey and bigdaddykane, I think what ioldnut was looking for a tilt column that would look stock in his 1968 Nova with the dash ignition. The 67 or 68 Camaro tilt steering column (w/o ignition switch) would match and fit. Yes, the 69 Camaro column would fit but would not match. Yes, you could get a ididit column and paint it black but is is still not stock looking.:yes:

Also the 67-68 f-body Firebird with tilt column would also fit. This is according to the "Chevrolet Parts Interchange Manual" book by Paul Herd.
3-speed manual on columnw/tilt -2 (GM part #7803602),7 (GM part #7803567)-
Powerglide on coumn w/tilt -5 (GM part #7803778)-
3 or 4-speed manual on floor w/tilt -3 (GM part #7803777)-
Turbo Hydramatic on colum w/tilt -5- (GM part #7803778)

Gary:D
In my experience with trying to convert my 3 on tree to floor shift, I bought a 68 Camaro column and thought it would bolt in. The bracket on the column which bolts to the dash is different. When I went to swap brackets, I noticed the Chevy II bracket is welded to the column, not bolted. My next step is to disassemble both colums and build a floor shift colum from the 2. I would imagine a tilt wheel would be the same. The reason for the difference in the Camaro and Chevy II column is the Chevy II colum sits up higher at the dash ( brake/clutch bracket has a deep U shape compared to the Camaro). Hope this helps.

Will

1 - 13 of 13 Posts