Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I am looking into getting a new column for my 62 coupe and I have found some pretty good priced new tilt columns. But I have my original steering box with the integral shaft so how does it work to put a tilt column in. Is there some conversion to a removable steering shaft?

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you changing the steering column, you aren't too worried about stock
so why not also go to a rack and pinion
these two together with drastically improve your handling....even with stock front suspension

the stock steering components are probably even worse than the suspension for how much slop they add, even considering how bad the lower control arm geometry is

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you changing the steering column, you aren't too worried about stock
so why not also go to a rack and pinion
these two together with drastically improve your handling....even with stock front suspension

the stock steering components are probably even worse than the suspension for how much slop they add, even considering how bad the lower control arm geometry is
maybe I will upgrade to rack and pinion someday but for now that is just not in the budget, especially since my uncle rebuilds steering gears and just did mine for free! is there no way to make the steering shaft in my box removable. like maybe adding a U-join just above the box

·
Registered
713 Posts
i believe you would be cutting the shaft and adapting it to the new column with a coupler similar to this

or some other adapter/coupler to connect the column to your stock modified/cut shaft... i believe ididit makes a different style coupler also... you may have to contact them to check options... I have a MII style from setup, so i dont have first hand experience with a column and the factory box... but i did look into a while ago, prior to deciding to just upgrade the entire setup...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe you would be cutting the shaft and adapting it to the new column with a coupler similar to this

or some other adapter/coupler to connect the column to your stock modified/cut shaft... i believe ididit makes a different style coupler also... you may have to contact them to check options... I have a MII style from setup, so i dont have first hand experience with a column and the factory box... but i did look into a while ago, prior to deciding to just upgrade the entire setup...
ah this is what I was looking for
it also lead me to ididit's specific instructions on how to do it!
thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts