Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my tie rods loose and everything unbolted but I cannot for the life of me get the tie rods off of the car. I even tried a pickle fork and it would not give. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
How hard are you hitting the pickle fork? The first time changing balljoints proved a little difficult for me, then I picked up the phone and called my brother-in-law. He told me not to be afraid and whale on it. After a few more "taps" it broke loose.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard are you hitting the pickle fork? The first time changing balljoints proved a little difficult for me, then I picked up the phone and called my brother-in-law. He told me not to be afraid and whale on it. After a few more "taps" it broke loose.
That would be the issue. I wasn't hitting it to hard because I was afraid of breaking something. I'll give it another shot after work and smack it nice and hard.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
And if a BFH doesn't work. Throw some heat at it.:yes:
Make sure you have the right size fork also. There are different sizes and if the fork is bottoming out on the joint then it's not working properly and you are just waisting your time.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I use a puller for all of my ball joints. Works like a charm and I dont have to work as hard or risk damaging anything.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Hey there tehdrizzle................did you get 'er done?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there tehdrizzle................did you get 'er done?
Finally did. Just decided to go up to the store and get a puller. Worked like a charm, I should have done this yesterday. At least I now have another useful tool in my box.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Good to hear Paul. Although you may not use that tool too many times, it will make easy work when it is used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts