Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I finally finished my 66 and thought I would post a few pics. I bought it in 1995 when I was 25 and pretty much finished it last fall with the exception of the SS rocker moldings. I put all of that stuff on last weekend. There were some long periods of time that I didn't work on it that much which is why it took so long to finish. I had to replace three floor pans, trunk pan, one rocker panel, one LH lower quarter section and one RH quarter panel. Me and my dad did all of the body work including paint. Everything else was done by me or him or both. The only thing I had hired out is to have the headliner installed and the same guy put all of the new seat upholstery on after I reworked all of the frames and springs. One thing that doesn't come through clear in one of the interior pics is my floor mats. I bought some of those that Chevy 2 Only sells that are made to fit the 66 and 67. They are black rubber with the V8 flag and the Super Sport script like on the quarters. Darn things were 100 bucks but they just set the interior off in my opinion. It has a mild 350 bored .030 over with a mild cam, Weiand 8004 intake, Carter 625 cfm carb, HEI distributor, and stock exhaust manifolds. It has a TH350 and stock rear end with 3.08 gears. Let me know what you think.http://photobucket.com/tider66

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey man, your car turned out to look really nice. Maybe I can check it out at some of the local shows. You should be proud!

Scott

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice car. Is it an original Chateau Slate car? or was it just painted that color. It's a pretty rare color.
Yes, according to the firewall plate it was originally a Chateau Slate car and it also had a black vinyl top. I think I still have the trim pieces that go where the sail panel and quarter meet. I couldn't bring myself to put a vinyl top back on it. The interior was originally black as well and it also was an original factory air car. Unfortunately someone had already stripped all of that stuff off by the time I got it. The car was painted blue when I got it. I was going to try to go back with the original color but didn't. After tearing the car down I found places under trim and under the blue paint that still had the original Chateau Slate color. When I had some PPG mixed it turned out pure sliver and was thin as water. It wasn't even close. I had some Sherwin Williams mixed and it had sort of a blueish tint to it. I went with 1969 Cortez Silver instead. Of course it turned out to be a Honda color. It's the closest thing they had. Seems like that's what most of them do. They give you the closest match they have.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Yes, according to the firewall plate it was originally a Chateau Slate car and it also had a black vinyl top. I think I still have the trim pieces that go where the sail panel and quarter meet. I couldn't bring myself to put a vinyl top back on it. The interior was originally black as well and it also was an original factory air car. Unfortunately someone had already stripped all of that stuff off by the time I got it. The car was painted blue when I got it. I was going to try to go back with the original color but didn't. After tearing the car down I found places under trim and under the blue paint that still had the original Chateau Slate color. When I had some PPG mixed it turned out pure sliver and was thin as water. It wasn't even close. I had some Sherwin Williams mixed and it had sort of a blueish tint to it. I went with 1969 Cortez Silver instead. Of course it turned out to be a Honda color. It's the closest thing they had. Seems like that's what most of them do. They give you the closest match they have.

Looks close enough to me. I dig it.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Really nice, you guys did a great job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beauty has no age man! 25 years paid off, sweet ride! Black interior accents your paint nicely. Now you can enjoy cruising it for the next 25 years +! Yeeeeeah man!:D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I'm just glad that I can finally get some enjoyment out of it. It's also nice to be able to show it to everybody on the site. Today I took it for a little road trip to Jackson, TN for the Bunny Run which is about 150 miles one way. Of course the weather forecast called for rain to move in late this afternoon but I got caught in a rain shower this morning anyway. Didn't really care too much for driving it in the rain but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts