Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've read nothing but hatred for the Glides on other sites. Is it true that they really are worthless? I'm trying to decide if I should spend big bucks to freshen and use it in a Sunday car; or send it to the scrap yard.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

:yes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can rebuild one for about $200.00 that's including the book you need. There not to bad for weekend drivers.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would use it till its fried, then get something else more to your liking. I have a glide in my car now but only because i didn't have the funds to go to a 700r and the glide works fine. When its done i will not be rebuilding it though. Hopefully i can get a couple years out of it as i don't plan on putting it under and crazy duress and when the time comes that she's burnt and done hopefully ill have some money saved up for what i want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I failed to mention that reverse is going out, so I figure it's going to cost more than it's worth to rebuild. Do bracket guys even want these for cores anymore? I have a TH350 sitting here from a '77 truck that is in equally questionable condition. I hate to spend the money twice. :confused:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
'Glide's are great for fun cars, hot rods, race cars... just not that great as an overdrive... it's a 1:1 tranny just like a Th350 etc is but 2spds instead of 3. i have an SS Glide in my shop ready to go. it's just a matter of what you want in your car, how it's driven etc. the 'Glide is still a good trans... now, air-cooled 'Glides aren't that desirable... neither are the cast iron models. :no: ;) :D

hang onto it, sell it, trade it, give it to someone who needs it... many number of things to do with a 'Glide... eventually USE it. ;)

but then i think i'm a borderline hoarder...
... so maybe you shouldn't listen to me... :devil:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Powerglides are still used in drag racing but the market is going down for them. Since they were the Go To trans for Super class racing they were very desirable. However when power numbers started climbing and more and more people were making over 1000 Hp, the desire to go to aftermarket cases has grown. For a street car, I would without a doubt go with the t-350. It will be more responsive and feel quicker. If you go to a shop that builds performance transmissions, you may get a discount on the rebuild if you give him the Glide for a core.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Don't throw it away. It is still the go to trans for drag racers. Not everyone can afford a $900 aftermarket trans case. Put it on Craigs list or take it to a swap meet. Let someone have it if they need it. But don't send it to the dump. They don't make them anymore. And just because reverse is going out, it probably just needs a rebuild. They are almost indestructable once you build it right. And lighter than a t-350 or 400. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've read nothing but hatred for the Glides on other sites. Is it true that they really are worthless? I'm trying to decide if I should spend big bucks to freshen and use it in a Sunday car; or send it to the scrap yard.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

:yes:
What kind of racing? If you're looking for consistency for bracket or index racing, it's difficult to beat a PowerGlide. If you're going to scrap it, I'll take it - this guy will end up building it for me: http://mikestransmission.com/
And, by the way, he runs a 'Glide behind a blown alcohol engine in his 5 second Top Eliminator dragster, not to mention outfitting a good portion of the PSCA Champions.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Mike's is one of the best! :yes:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I always agree with 65 Post when it comes to Glides but I'm partial to them myself. They are pretty much bulletproof when built right. I was apprehensive when I rebuilt my first one but once you get in there it's pretty damn simple. In a weekend you can rebuild it and have it back in the car in time for Monday's drive to work. Spend $150 for the B&M kit from Summit and buy the Powerglide book by Carl Monroe, spend a couple hours on the toilet reading it and you'll see it's not that difficult.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your replies. The car that will be receiving the PG is a '55 Sedan with a mild (streetable) 383. Sat/Sundays only next summer (car show circuit) No racing ever, and no parades or interstate driving.

This is a temporary solution for a friend who is eventually going the 700R route in that car. Then I would get it back to do with as I please.
Most likely put it back in the Nova behind a very tame 350, and again, drive it only on Sunday like a proper grandpa would.

I was just wondering if there was any real value in it from the perspective of someone who may be trying to keep a car original instead of using modern hardware. Ultimately, I would still end up paying for the rebuild, just didn't know if it was worth keeping for long term use, or sell it now and spend the $ on a TH350.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
As has already been stated, if it's in a street driven car, I would opt for a TH350. However, don't scrap it as it is still the most used trans in drag racing applications.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
T-bucket guys love glides. I have one rebuilding a th400 to swap for mine. I need 3 speeds personally.
I had one in my old 23 T-bucket behind a fresh little 283.:D

I am with you though and need my T-350. Light car, race car the glide can get it done. Heavy car(like a 3rd Gen.) nope.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tried twice to fix a leak in my glide. Took it out and replaced it with a t350 with a mild kit in it. Different car alltogether now, feels like 50 more horse. $300 including the converter out of the classifieds. Go for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts