Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 63 I bought has a 350 in it. At the time, unknown cam, has 041x heads, edelbrock performer manifold and edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb. Was told it was bored .030 over. Have not popped the heads off yet to confirm.

So pulled the cam. Cam is Competition Cams part number 12-212-2. Magnum hydraulic flat tappet cam. valve lift .048, duration 280 for both intake and exhaust. Lobe lift of .032. Duration at .050" lift 230.

Heads are definitely 041x. Have the right casting numbers (347041 if I recall off top of my head). Engine block originated from a truck, late 70's if I recall (data at the house). Have not looked any further into the internals to see what was done, if anything re: crank, connecting rods, pistons.

Nice set of roller rockers. All in all, seems like a decent setup. My question really is, given the cam and heads, is the manifold and carb a good fit or should I consider something different to take advantage of the cam at all? Im not well versed in matching piece parts like this, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Intent is street application, with perhaps a weekend here and there at the strip. Im actually restoring the car for my wife and she'll be the primary driver. Comp Cams database online says it needs headers and stall converter. Currently the car has a T5 tranny, but I intend on replacing it with a 700-R4 or perhaps a Turbo 350, but I think I want the overdrive. Im thinking a mild stall converter, somewhere around 2000 stall so the wife can enjoy it on the street without too much difficulty. It does have posi 4:11 10 bolt rear end.

When I talked to the seller (who was selling it for someone else), he suggested it might do better with a 750 CFM carb. So, Im open to replacing the manifold and carb if there's a better match to help the motor realize it's potential.

Am also looking at block hugger headers. It had a set of cheap azz headers that were dinged in significantly to work. They are all rusty anyways, and had exhaust leaks.. just tossing those out.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have ran that came many times with the old double hump heads and it is a nice little street set up. Great driver, I wouldn't put any less than a 2500 rpm stall, even a 3000 is great. No problem driving a 3000+ converter on an everyday driver. That carb would do especially since you say it's for the wife. If you were playing a little harder then the 750 vacuum secondary could be used or maybe a Holley 670. Either way it should work good for you like it is. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.. I was actually leaning more towards a 2500 stall, figuring that maybe a 2000 stall might not be much better than a stock converter but not knowing much about it, didn't want to make it too temperamental for the street. I'll contemplate 2500 or 3000. Wish I had a way of driving it with either one first, since I've actually never driven a car with a stall in it period.

Still leaning towards a different manifold/carb setup. I guess mainly because the current performer manifold looks crappy and I want her to be able to show the car at local carshows. So, was going to take the opportunity to maybe go with something different, along with a bigger carb perhaps. She (the wife) can handle a hot rod easy enough, and when Im done, this will have disc brakes all around and upgraded suspension, if not a complete front clip.

I haven't been very fond of Holley's in my earlier days. Probably because Im not as well versed in tuning them. Seems like the ones I have had always have little "issues" like float adjustment, tweaks here and there, popped power valve (once or twice) and just kinda temperamental. I'll admit that it's probably me and definitely not the carb, but have had better luck overall with E-brocks and even a rebuilt rochester I had on my Olds.

Should be fun no matter what though. Thanks for the input and the thoughts.

Mike

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
You could step up to the Performer RPM and the 670 or 750. You would be fine actually with the 670. As far as the stall, a 3000 converter doesn't act much different than a stocker when you drive normally. I have ran the 3000, 3500, and I have a 4100 in my street car now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. definitely gives me some things to think about. Sounds like a 3000 stall would probably fit the bill for me.. if it behaves pretty much lilke a stocker, that's a pretty good compromise I think.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts