Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is coming from skip white but he does have some very good cnc machining equipment. All the parts appear to be good quality. The 4340 forged scat crank, scat pro comp rods, forged probe pistons (which appear to be custom made for skip because i can not find that part number anywhere not even probes website. probe lists a dish piston with -20cc and a flat top at -4cc). The rotating assembly is balanced to less than 1 gram and the block is a new dart SHP block with all the machine work done and blueprinted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330626949771?item=330626949771&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Here are the questions I just sent them. Let me know if I am missing anything

I have a few questions about this short block

1. Can you guys install the cam bearings? I do not have the tool to do it myself.

2. Could you substitute the scat rods for the same rods with the arp 2000 rod bolts?

3. Are any of the parts blems?

4. The pistons have a 14929-030 part number with a dome volume of -15.2 and I can not find that piston anywhere not even probes website. Did you have this piston custom made for you? As far as I can tell it is not a stocking off the shelf piston.

5. Can you zero deck the block?

6. Are the rings file fit?

7. Is the block bored and honed with a torque plate?

8. Do you mic each piston then finish hone that bore to precisely fit that piston?

I tried my best to piece a short block together at that price but i can not even get close to his price even with the exact same parts. The block alone all machined and shipped to me is $1955 + $550 crank + 350 rods + 100 bearings + 120 rings + $150 to $200 balancing etc etc

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow just got a reply back at 1:30 in the morning eastern time!

Yes we can install the cam bearings for a slight fee. Yes we can upgrade the rods for $67.00 to arp 2000 bolts. We do use a torque plate. We blue print the block on our cnc Centroid machine. We wouldn't not use a torque plate on $1500.00 Dart block. No we don't mike each piston for each cyl hole. No one does this anymore, as pistons are all within 1-2 ten thous. That is a procedure that was done on high end motors of many years back when pistons had larger amounts of variance. People on car forums talk this, and some engine builders pretend to to this, just like they pretend to blue print the block with jbh fixtures, a procedure that takes much a full day to do, and a very high level engine builder to perform. We do actually do this procedure as we have machine that allows us to do it very quickly, like in 2 hours. We no longer offer file fit rings for our street rod builds, as you can still check the drop in rings, and be sure they are in the range needed, or open them up if needed. No we don't use blem parts. I don' know anyone that would use blem parts without telling you this outright in the add. Yes the pistons are custom made for us, as we have the comp. height raised so we can zero deck the block without having to take an enormous amount off the block to accomadate catalog pistons. Those fools at most piston companies have the pistons sitting a mile down in the block in case the block has been decked to death. All of our pistons for every engine are custom made. I read many engine adds that tell you they do a bunch of high teck work on there engines and never is this true. They do not have the equipment, and what they do have is usually old junk. We welcome anyone to come to our shop to see what all is done. We also bal. below one gram. Give us a call if your still interested, at 423-722-5152 I'm about out of pistons, 6 week lead time so I'm killing this add.I have one set left. I have plenty of 427 pistons.
Skip White

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been studying on Skip for a couple of months myself. I am looking at the stage II 383 and have pretty much decided I will order one in the spring. A couple of racers at the local track have used engine parts and other pieces from Skip White and another thing that seems to favor them as a supplier is their ebay rating. Over 125K transactions with a 99.6 percent approval rating.

On the Stage II crate engine they offer a three year warranty.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have been studying on Skip for a couple of months myself. I am looking at the stage II 383 and have pretty much decided I will order one in the spring. A couple of racers at the local track have used engine parts and other pieces from Skip White and another thing that seems to favor them as a supplier is their ebay rating. Over 125K transactions with a 99.6 percent approval rating.

On the Stage II crate engine they offer a three year warranty.
I ordered their 383 kit, sold their Procomp Electronic"s rods, bought Scat Procomp I beams, and had it all rebalanced.

They can put together many kits and like for you they can do the extra work.

As far as their CNC Equipment being good, well it's all in the operator doing the machine work so anything can happen. Never had them do any machine work.

I mic'd my pistons and they were all at .027" so I called a machinist in Kentucky as I was buying his block and had him bore it an even .030 and deck mine .010. Probe pistons call for .002-.005 for the forged street pistons I am using along with Hastings rings.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i visited there ,, place is clean , neat ,, alot going on ,, up to date equipment , all of it being used , i'd call and order what specific rods/ pistons i wanted ,, saw plenty of empty pro comp boxes , but some others too ,,, so i'd get what specific brands i wanted

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wow just got a reply back at 1:30 in the morning eastern time!

Yes we can install the cam bearings for a slight fee. Yes we can upgrade the rods for $67.00 to arp 2000 bolts. We do use a torque plate. We blue print the block on our cnc Centroid machine. We wouldn't not use a torque plate on $1500.00 Dart block. No we don't mike each piston for each cyl hole. No one does this anymore, as pistons are all within 1-2 ten thous. That is a procedure that was done on high end motors of many years back when pistons had larger amounts of variance. People on car forums talk this, and some engine builders pretend to to this, just like they pretend to blue print the block with jbh fixtures, a procedure that takes much a full day to do, and a very high level engine builder to perform. We do actually do this procedure as we have machine that allows us to do it very quickly, like in 2 hours. We no longer offer file fit rings for our street rod builds, as you can still check the drop in rings, and be sure they are in the range needed, or open them up if needed. No we don't use blem parts. I don' know anyone that would use blem parts without telling you this outright in the add. Yes the pistons are custom made for us, as we have the comp. height raised so we can zero deck the block without having to take an enormous amount off the block to accomadate catalog pistons. Those fools at most piston companies have the pistons sitting a mile down in the block in case the block has been decked to death. All of our pistons for every engine are custom made. I read many engine adds that tell you they do a bunch of high teck work on there engines and never is this true. They do not have the equipment, and what they do have is usually old junk. We welcome anyone to come to our shop to see what all is done. We also bal. below one gram. Give us a call if your still interested, at 423-722-5152 I'm about out of pistons, 6 week lead time so I'm killing this add.I have one set left. I have plenty of 427 pistons.
Skip White
That interesting he bought a CNC Machine which is a nice machine now everything else is junk. So what was he using for up till this year??

I have a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center for 12 years now which I do admit is light years over fixturing. At least when I am done I can probe the block out for locations to check the work that has been done.

I have 6500.00 dollar aluminum blocks and because thay are 6500.00 does not mean I don't plate hone them.

So far any block I hone whether its a OEM, Bowtie, Brodix or Dart ETC. its plate honed, Also on a 4.155 bore it needs to be plate honed for the best ring seal, I also ask what the customer is using for hardware and head gasket to be used in the end build as I duplicate what they are using.

Some times production shops don't like to take the time to do the job right.

4.185 bore blocks I recomend using a .950 reach studs bottom tap the bolt hole drop a ball bearing in the hole and bottom the stud on ball bearing as this method works the best in big bore SBC's and big bore BBC's

I also mic every piston rather then guess if its correct or not.

90% of the time I send pics of the block being machined to show whats being done.

Darts are great blocks and every block that I machine I take the time and at least hone the mains to the middle of the spec or to the high side depending on the what the customer or build needs.

Also I take the time to chamfer the bottom of the cylinders which most production shops don't do.

I also take the time to file fit rings. It takes more time but I think its well worth it.

If they are using Probe pistons as far as I know they do not offer custom pistons and are shelf stock.

Most shelf stock pistons and custome pistons I buy require a 9.000 deck which is far from a mile down in the bores.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I found slightly better individual part prices than you listed, but without balancing or machine work it still came to $3000 and change.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found slightly better individual part prices than you listed, but without balancing or machine work it still came to $3000 and change.

Yeah thats why I was looking at it. A one shot purchase ready to assemble with reasonable quality parts for a street strip application.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts