1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
From what I can see from the photos the difference is that the CalTracs use a roller to control spring warp and these use the U clamp to try and do that. Can't tell if the rod ends are a quality part or some junk and the same is true for the bars which could be thin wall steel tubing and brackets which could be thin or???? That's all I can see. RM

·
Registered
445 Posts
wow, they look allot like caltracks. that's very misleading. I owned a set of caltracks before I decided to go with the 4 link. they were made very well, I even bought the special split springs. I would stick with what works and save the extra $$$$ and buy the caltracks set up. remember you don't want to buy it twice!!!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
big dog ss said:
i found these on ebay and was wondering if you see any differnce between these and cal-tracs? i know you get what you pay for, but i dont want to spend a lot of money on the name if its the same thing.. thanks for your input!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8039296104&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
Those are basically a cross between CalTracs and CE Slide-A-Link bars.

CalTracs:

CE Slide-A-Links:

They are have the Slide-A-Link front mount that actually bolts to the spring but have a solid lower bar like CalTracs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would not go with anything off brand when it comes to these. I have caltracs and buy them again in a second

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys! im going with the cal-tracs!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a set of those from Ebay......I like 'em. I was skeptical at first and almost didnt buy a set. They are very well made and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another set, as a matter of fact I probably will buy a set for my 2nd gen F body.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a set of those bars also and they are very well made, he sells rod ends from Competition Engeneering in his store so you would think the ones in his bars are from there also. Everything fit well when I installed mine, no modifications were necessary.

Mike

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey nova brothers,,so i know cal-tracs are better tech,but,,whats wrong with a good set of traction bars? like the comp/eng.#2101s ive seen cars run in the 8s with them.i bought my off e-bay for 100.00 sure beats 250+

·
Registered
810 Posts
roberto white said:
Hey nova brothers,,so i know cal-tracs are better tech,but,,whats wrong with a good set of traction bars? like the comp/eng.#2101s ive seen cars run in the 8s with them.i bought my off e-bay for 100.00 sure beats 250+
Nothing wrong with a good set of traction bars but they have limits. With the cal-tracs or any brand like them you can adjust them and get bite almost in the rain. Our local track will sometimes prep good and other times it's better at a stop light.

I can dial my car in by changing the shock number and or per-load on the bar all in about 10 min.

·
Registered
419 Posts
FWIW, I have those bars from that seller on my 72 and love em. Running ET Street with no problems at all. I'd buy them again....

·
Registered
787 Posts
They look OK to me, as long as there is lots of room for adjutment on those rod ends.
I have slide a link, and I back them off for the street, so i get a decent ride. So, that would be my only concearn with those, if you had enough rod length.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had a set arrive today from Dave @ DSHOPS for a friend's camaro. The quality of material is good, and the rod ends which are QA1's have lots of adjustment. The one thing i did notice that is different from Calvert's product is the 'torque bar' for lack of a better word, does not have a flat spot for your wrench to do on car adjustments. Easy fix, and have more on order.

·
Registered
475 Posts
MelloYello said:
Had a set arrive today from Dave @ DSHOPS for a friend's camaro. The quality of material is good, and the rod ends which are QA1's have lots of adjustment. The one thing i did notice that is different from Calvert's product is the 'torque bar' for lack of a better word, does not have a flat spot for your wrench to do on car adjustments. Easy fix, and have more on order.
Thats odd....that it doesnt have a place for a wrench. The set I got from him has a large nut welded onto the rod about midway.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i myself asked the same question earlier this year. if you're going to drive on the street the 4 link may not be the best way to go. it will lock your axle down TIGHT. guys talk about pushing the nose of the car through corners and picking up tires coming in and out of parking lots. and forget parallel parking....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thats odd....that it doesnt have a place for a wrench. The set I got from him has a large nut welded onto the rod about midway
Thanks Colin, I was going to email Dave back and ask him about it. I planned on doing just what you said to fix it, but now it seems that was overlooked when they were made.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi ,i also have a set of daves bars on my car too.i also bought his subframe connectors .they work and fitted pretty good .i have since welded in the sub connectors.here's a photo

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well there's no doubt that the first set we got here are missing the nut on the bar. These were bought directly and not through ebay. I have another set arriving in a week or so, hopefully they have the nut welded on the bar. I should also note that the bar is painted black not silver on the one's that arrived last week. :confused:

I see Novafied you have a piece of rubber belting between the the leaf spring clamp. Is this to reduce noise?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts