Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the problem with the stock arrangement. The bushings wear out about as frequently as you change the oil. I have had both the bearing conversion and the CPP kit. I did not like either (they both wore out). Its probably fine for a weekend cruiser but I commute in my nova 40 miles a day.

I went to ace hardware and picked up some nylon washers. I placed these on the faces of the bushings. I put "super lube" on the faces of the washers between the metal bracket and the nylon washers. I torqued both nuts to 10ft/lbs. Lo and behold it works. The nylon washers pivot at the brackets but still have friction. It remains to be seen how long these will last. I am optimistic. The original design is a good one if the bushings would hold up. There is enough friction and torque on those bushings to keep the wheels pointed straight helping alleviate bump steer and road wander.
Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We all know the problem with the stock arrangement. The bushings wear out about as frequently as you change the oil. I have had both the bearing conversion and the CPP kit. I did not like either (they both wore out). Its probably fine for a weekend cruiser but I commute in my nova 40 miles a day.

I went to ace hardware and picked up some nylon washers. I placed these on the faces of the bushings. I put "super lube" on the faces of the washers between the metal bracket and the nylon washers. I torqued both nuts to 10ft/lbs. Lo and behold it works. The nylon washers pivot at the brackets but still have friction. It remains to be seen how long these will last. I am optimistic. The original design is a good one if the bushings would hold up. There is enough friction and torque on those bushings to keep the wheels pointed straight helping alleviate bump steer and road wander.
Just thought I would share.
What size washer did you use?

·
Registered
635 Posts
part number would be awesome so we can replicate if you are successful. thanks for beta testing your idea!

-Rusty

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get back to the hardware store I will look at the part numbers and take a picture. It was one of those things where I got a few different ones because I wasn't sure which ones would fit. Also I used a thinner fender washer on the drag link side of the idler and welded it to the castle nut to keep it from rotating.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I get back to the hardware store I will look at the part numbers and take a picture. It was one of those things where I got a few different ones because I wasn't sure which ones would fit. Also I used a thinner fender washer on the drag link side of the idler and welded it to the castle nut to keep it from rotating.
Thanks it is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
A photo of the washers installed would be very nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts