Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '72 nova SS I've owned for maybe 20 years (my brother bought in new) and it has not been on the road for all of that time and more. My questions are - I need to send the carb somewhere to be rebuilt (Carter quadrajet) any recommendations ? and I need a good set of headers and an exhaust recommendation. There will be other things but this is a start. I might put the original exhaust manifolds on (the car is a 21k miles true survivor - still have original tires - lol) in that case any stock exhaust supplier recommendations would appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like a great car!

If you decide to go with a completely stock exhaust that resembles the original system, you'd need something like this:

Most of us don't use the crossflow muffer, and just put muffers where the factory resonators went. No point in doing a full factory reproduction exhaust system if you end up going with headers though. So I guess that would be the thing to decide first. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm leaning towards the headers just from a fun factor. I can always take it back to stock later I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is 100% original so want to send it somewhere where I get my carb back. Anybody know a reliable place with a good reputation ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm leaning towards a Pypes SGF70 exhaust system and a pair of Dougs DOU D308 headers. Any comments welcome before I order.... Thanks. :D

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Be sure to go through the brake system to make sure all four corners are working, Also, prime the oil pressure and squirt some oil in the cylinders, then spin the engine a bunch, first by hand, before trying to start it. You may want to replace the fuel pump ( the diaphragm may have dried and cracked) and filter before running the engine. In fact, you may want to add a fuel filter before the pump to catch the crude from the fuel tank. Then again, you could drop the tank and have it cleaned, or clean it yourself, you'll wand to check the rubber hoses around the tank anyway.

Where are the pictures???? We need pictures! Oh, and Welcome!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I've got new Dougs headers installed, carb back from rebuild, new stainless steel exhaust installed, and new fuel pump. One problem and one question. The car is a turbo 350 auto and the header is right up against the shift linkage....can't take car out of park ......???

Also dropped the gas tank - probably going to replace all fuel lines. Tank looks good but how in the heck do you get the gas out ??

·
Registered
682 Posts
Also dropped the gas tank - probably going to replace all fuel lines. Tank looks good but how in the heck do you get the gas out ??
A hand operated pump will do the trick. The local auto parts stores usually sell them pretty cheap. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok. Update- There is a rod that runs from the steering column to the frame then there is another rod that runs at a ninety degree angle from that location to the tranny. The header is right up against the second rod and I can't move the shifter from park (floor shift 350). So what happens if I dis-connect these rods from the steering column and the tranny ??? I think these may only be for the locking steering column....stumped :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I ripped all that linkage out.....I can move the shifter now. Hope none of that was necessary :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got everything back together. Started her up with a few issues.
Can't get it to idle down - running at 1400-1500 rpm
Can't get timing anywhere near correct
Getting a intermittent back fire through the exhaust- seems like it gets worse as the car warms up

Not sure where to start.....? :confused:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
First of all, congrats on taking the steps to get the car back on the road!

If its a stock quadrajet you could try contacting Cliff Ruggles, he rebuilds Qjets and also does custom builds based on your car's setup. I've heard only good things about his work.

I would start with the timing. I didn't see what engine you had, but I'm assuming a sbc 350 and it sounds like it is still stock. I would think around 8-12 degrees initial with 32-36 total would be a good place to start with your timing.

It sounds like the car sat for a long time. What condition are the ignition components? (i.e. distributor, cap, rotor, coil, wires, plugs, etc)? You'd want to make sure those are cool before you look at your timing since that could mess up your readings if they aren't working properly.

Once you get your timing nailed down then you should be able to dial in the carb a little better. Use a vacuum gauge and adjust your idle mixture screws until you see highest vacuum. Then set your idle speed down to where you want it. If you end up adjusting the idle speed a lot you may have to check your idle mixture again with the vacuum gauge and adjust accordingly.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Not being able to get the idle down could be a sign of a vacuum leak somewhere. Check around the base of the carb and intake manifold. Could also be a vacuum leak from some old brittle, cracked, or collapsed vacuum lines.

Good luck! Hope you get it back on the road soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts