Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 L78 in my siggy has some really odd things with it, the grill, front bumper, rear end and seat pattern are all from a 70 Nova, but where it gets odd is the trunk pan is also 70 style (OE from the factory) and the seat has 69 date codes on it and uses 69 style head rests. I know the rear end is incorrect for the car, by the date code, we have members here with the incorrect bumpers on 69's they pictured with a 70 before delivery. I wish I had more info on the car to know what is right and wrong on this particular car. May have to name it, the mystery mobile!:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
So then, are you saying that there were some 69's that came from the factory with 70 style front bumpers? Also, what's different about the 69 trunk pan when compared to a 70? From 68 to 70 should all be the same. I don't see a difference in them from 68-72 except that the 71/72's may be slightly different due tot he E.E.C. system and stand pipe. And if that's the case, a non E.E.C. 70 would be the same as a 69. I think.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So then, are you saying that there were some 69's that came from the factory with 70 style front bumpers? Also, what's different about the 69 trunk pan when compared to a 70? From 68 to 70 should all be the same. I don't see a difference in them from 68-72 except that the 71/72's may be slightly different due tot he E.E.C. system and stand pipe. And if that's the case, a non E.E.C. 70 would be the same as a 69. I think.
Yes there are a couple of 69's with 70 bumpers and the 70 trunk pan has a hump where the spare ties down to, the 69 does not.

70 style trunk in my 69 May built car pictured here

A 68 Nov built car

Does is have a late 69 build date paul?

Tommy :)
Yes, it is a 5th week of May built car.:yes:

·
5,145 Posts
I was a mfg engineer for awhile and we issued change orders when a product change was needed. On the order there were boxes to check indicating when and how the change was to be made. Sometimes we would change immediately and scrap all old unused stock, sometimes we would change when existing stock was used up.
GM may have made changes that did not happen exactly when the model year changed. A different trunk pan would be a simple change, a different die in the stamping dept. and no change the rest of the way down the line.
Maybe they sold more 69's than they thought they would and got into the newer styl pans early.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
69 1/2 nova?

I knew somebody who had one..and all the documentation on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts