Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot rodders have been going with the Crown Vic front suspension for their cars. It's akin to the way Mustang II suspensions were being used years ago. Never seen one in a first gen Nova. This is a Kijiji ad that is currently posted.

1963 Chevy 11 ( nova ) ex 1/4 mile car - started to convert it back to street use but don’t have enough free time ( this a project )- full chassis with10 pt cage - floor is light gage steel not welded - was tubbed with narrowed 9” now has 8.8 - aluminum independent front suspension with new components ( crown Vic ) front clip is fibreglass the rest of body is all steel..no rust or rot - comes with 1971 454 stock engine, was a manual car but I have no trans - comes with complete parts car with extras - I do have ownership for white car not parts car..I may trade up for a car that requires less work

111.jpg

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/muskoka/1963-chevy-11-nova/1455033495?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I wouldn’t have thought the track width would have worked. Too bad there aren’t any good pictures of the setup..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've heard of putting a Crown Vic front end under F*rd pick up to do away with the twin I beams, but it's even a little wide for them. I see narrowing the crossmember what about the rack?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,996 Posts
Using a Crown Vic front end was often the go to on a lot of the TV car build shows before they all went to just stuffing a bunch of brand new catalog parts under them.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,900 Posts

·
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, Here's the problem with showing me stuff like this......Now I want one and I have absolutely no use for it whatsoever!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D
Jeeez! I never even thought about you when I posted it. Pretend you didn't see it. At my age it's easy to forget things. I'm a natural at it.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Sure is a lot of work to make it fit. I'm with Jim, what about the rack? Just using shorter tie rods? I dislike the upper control arm adjustment. Can't believe Ford is still using that slide set up. One good pothole, here there are many to choose from, and you need an alignment.

·
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure is a lot of work to make it fit. I'm with Jim, what about the rack? Just using shorter tie rods? I dislike the upper control arm adjustment. Can't believe Ford is still using that slide set up. One good pothole, here there are many to choose from, and you need an alignment.
Might be able to drill and insert a shear pin or dowel to maintain the alignment. No Idea on shorter tie rods but it's very possible since people are making them shorter. The problem I see is when making the width shorter than the rack mounting holes are now out of location. I think that may not be too much of a challenge though. Use a 1/2" thick transition bar. Drill holes in it for the existing bolt pattern. Narrow the beam/ machine a 1/2" from the beam's rack mounting bosses. Identify the new mounting hole dimension and drill the transition bar to suit. The rack can now mount using the transition bar. Then again not seeing it in person could prove this wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mustang suspension

I know its off topic, but I'am putting 2004 mustang struts, spindles, and a manual chevette rack on my 63. i wanted to keep the stock appearing front end for class racing and i wanted to drive it on the street. I know its been done with 82-92 camaro stuff, but I wanted to use spindles that came off a vehicle with a rack and pinion. I've read the stories about the crappy turning radius with long steering arms on camaro spindles.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That’s not where the upper control arm is adjusted on a vic. The caster and camber adjustments are at the upper ball joint where it attaches to the a arm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts