Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a little bit of research a while ago and decided to step up in wheel size to help improve handling/looks. i'm looking closely at 16" iroc wheels from the 80's because if i am right about the backspacing (4.5 front, 5.25 rear) it will finally allow me to run something wider than a 215 tire out back and run a shorter sidewall, and they'd be cheaper than buying new 16" wheels.

thing is, i've never seen any pics of a third gen with these iroc wheels. i saw a couple first gens that looked nice. i'm still gearing up to get my paint on at home, and it'd be nice to be able to see if the way i'm painting the nova would look good with these wheels.

does anyone have pics of a third gen with 80's camaro ioc wheels? if anyone runs them, did you find increased fenderwell clearance in the rear?

thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
damn i guy in my home town did it, bu the car looked to damn ugly to take a pic of..but they did fit however i dont think he had fender liners....i think trilogyz28 on here has some newer ss wheels on his, but once again no fender liners..he has pics on his cardomain page

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Just because it bolts on doesn't mean it looks good! Even the black Nova in this thread is nice, other than the wheels. The wheels ruin it. I'd go with the Corvette/Monte Carlo rally anyday over the IROC wheels.

Just my .02 worth!

Jason

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Jason628 said:
Greetings,

Just because it bolts on doesn't mean it looks good! Even the black Nova in this thread is nice, other than the wheels. The wheels ruin it. I'd go with the Corvette/Monte Carlo rally anyday over the IROC wheels.

Just my .02 worth!

Jason
Jason,
That Nova is alittle better then nice.Its beautiful!!!I think those wheels look good....I definitley wouldn't say they ruined the car.Thats a mean looking nova!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I could be wrong but if I remember my IROC rims wouldn't fit cause the center hub is metric and rotors and axles are imperial(standard)they would be easily machined to work.

·
14,588 Posts
iroc wheels

My 89 iroc z has 16" wheels on it with 245/50 tires. I have seen some 3rd gen novas with them on and I didn't care for the look. But then to each his own.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Heres a pic of my car when I had 16" irocs. They fit real good, the only issue I had with them were the front wheels in which my turning radius decreased, and that wasn't much of a problem. I definitly got compliments on them since not too many 3rd gens have them. I still have mine laying around, maybe you'd be interested in them? Although they are a little scruffed up. Oh yeah, I ran 225 size tires all around.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/823/trackpics0065uq.jpg

edit: Burningsquirrels, I didnt realize it was you that started this thread. Im suprised you forgot about my nova and the irocs.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey bruce...yeah i remember your nova but i couldn't find your pic, and i haven't seen you on aim recently lol. so if yor irocs are sitting around, waht are you using now? didja ever get to the new heads and posi?

·
Registered
569 Posts
my 2 cents worth = I have to agree that those wheels aren't really the look for the 3rd gen car.

although I have seen them on 4th gens and they look good.

I'd say thay're to " angular " looking, so work with the earlier (2nd gen ?) or 4thgen " square-er " body lines.

3rd gens need something more rounded / "soft" looking - like the classic Crager,etc 5 spokes, or kidney-bean / aluminum slots, or modern equivalents.

again, just my opinion,

~ AL

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you guys have pics of 17" wheels? if i go 17", i'm not sure what wheel to get... i'd also really have to get front disc brakes too lol

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Green Dragon said:
my 2 cents worth = I have to agree that those wheels aren't really the look for the 3rd gen car.

although I have seen them on 4th gens and they look good.

I'd say thay're to " angular " looking, so work with the earlier (2nd gen ?) or 4thgen " square-er " body lines.

3rd gens need something more rounded / "soft" looking - like the classic Crager,etc 5 spokes, or kidney-bean / aluminum slots, or modern equivalents.

again, just my opinion,

~ AL
That's it in a nut shell,I agree 100% there just not "soft" enough for 3rd gen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts