Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly looking to change out the 12 Bolt complete rear to a ford style 9 inch. Looking at the different manufacturers out there , would like to hear some input on the quality of the products and any potential issues ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I got mine from quick performance. No complaints. 35 spline Yukon locker, 3.70 gears, moser axles. Dealer's choice on 12 bolt or 9". Both have pros and cons. I went 9" because it was slightly more affordable and upgradable for me. I wanted a Dana 60 but cost changed my mind.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I purchased my axles from quick performance and like a lot of others my experience was excellent. I would buy from them again. I'd keep the 12 bolt.

If my car had a 12 bolt I probably would have kept it, although a 9 inchmight be a little cheaper to build, but then again new drive shaft or shortening, new brakes, brake lines and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would keep that 12bolt and upgrade it, they are getting harder to come by. I also upgraded to a Quick Performance 9in. (great rear end and best bang for the buck) but I was replacing a 10 bolt I broke twice.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
There are some obvious advantages to a 9", however your 12 bolt should do everything you need it to do as long as it's upgraded with Ford housing ends, tubes welded to the center section, spool, axles, etc. That being said, if your type of racing requires frequent gear changes, the 9" would be a better long term investment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
12 bolts are impossible to find. At least from my experience. My car came with a 8.25. Switching that out to an 8.5 and lucky to find a used one on eBay.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've had a Moser 12 bolt in mine for many years--thousands of miles, several hundred dragstrip passes...no problems ever. Of course, getting it for free made it a simple decision!
^^^^^^ what he said!
About a thousand miles and about a hundred 1/4 mile passes and no problems what so ever! If I was to do again, I would put an Eaton center section in it instead of the Tru Trac.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just finished Drag Week in my '69 with a Quick Performance fabricated 9" housing, 35 spline Moser axles, Spool, 9½" Pro gears at 3.25 ratio, Wilwood 12" rear disc brakes. This setup has been in my car for 1.5 years now with maybe 2,000 street miles and 35 or more passes. Very happy with Quick Performance customer service (Max) and their quality.

I broke the gears in my 12-bolt twice. So far the 9" is holding up well, even with the Pro series gears on the street.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Where are you in NJ?
I'll buy the 12 bolt!
Kinda living on borrowed time with the 8.5" especially with the 441and twins on the way!:D:D
Upgrade your 8.5 to 30 spline, 12 bolt axles fit it after that from what I understand. I went this way with mine, but put Moser axles.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
Where are you in NJ?
I'll buy the 12 bolt!
Kinda living on borrowed time with the 8.5" especially with the 441and twins on the way!:D:D
Upgrade your 8.5 to 30 spline, 12 bolt axles fit it after that from what I understand. I went this way with mine, but put Moser axles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts