Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change my header gaskets fairly soon. I have a 1973 Nova with A/C, and remember the passenger side bolt closest to the firewall being a complete pain to put in/ take out. Does anyone have any tricks or homemade tools for this purpose?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
It's been a while with an AC car, but I use a small open end box end 7/16" header wrench. I ground down the od of the box end so it fits in most places with using the box end. I've used that wrench by reaching down behind there with the wrench hanging down and using the box end. Could also get to it from the bottom, but I have always gotten them from the top and never pulled the evap box.

·
Registered
878 Posts
These 5/16" hex head header bolts might make make the process easier going forward:

ARP Chromoly Header Bolt part number: 100-1109

What are you going to use for header gaskets? I've not tried them but I hear the dead-soft aluminum gaskets made by Percy's seem to last very well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I last tried the summit branded copper baskets and they leaked from day one. I need to make sure the flange is straight then going to try Percy’s dead soft aluminum gaskets. Also will get some better bolts than the cheapo Mr. Gasket ones I have. 5/16 head sounds appealing. The old bolts I have are too soft making the Allen useless but maybe quality bolts would be different. Not sure how much torque you can get on them.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
FelPro Blues, no locks, no leaks and good for probably as long as you have that ride if you retighten after a few heat cycles is all. I've ran them for 6 years which is the longest I have owned a vehicle.

Bolts aren't coming loose, gasket is taking a set from the heat cycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts