Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My American Auto Wire kit came pre wired for a third brake light. The more I see people driving the more I think it cant hurt to have one.
I am looking for something sleek/low profile and just wondering what people are using.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The 58 Impala lends itself very well to adding a third brake light. I don't have a picture of it lit up but it is in the chrome trim above the back window. The nova doesn't really have a spot like that you could add it to. I would get one that went inside the back glass and mounted to the lip the headliner is attached to. It would have to be an oem style from a junk yard that had the shield around it to keep the glare down in the car from reflection off the glass. and some sort of cover to hide the back of the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
or something like this 3rd brake light --- simple

it's been on my Nova for 20 years ... & ... it's LED , too

(I bought it a long time ago ... for my Model A).

·
Registered
406 Posts
In for answers. I was going to add a small strip of red LEDs to the inside of the reverse light lens on my 64, so that when I hit the brakes they would light up red making the brake lights brighter but its not really a high mount 3rd brake light, so Id like to see what everyone else has done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know how much time you want to spend on it but if I had a 65 and wanted a 3th brake light I think I would build leds into the emblem on the tail. It's red already so hardly will be noticed untill it lights up. Maybe it's better to find a repop emblem (if available) and keep the original :D
Only thing might be the height of it. I can imagine a third brake light behind the window glas is easier to notice for driver behind.....but that's a compromise to consider

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys.
I am thinking something in the back window ( top or bottom) would be best.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
i'm going to add the third lite also. i think the easy way would make a braket to mount a red lite. an that bracket bolt down to the package tray an close enough to the rear window but still room to clean the rear window. i don't think i'd want to drill up by the head liner. an maybe go first class with one of those red lites that says stop in the lens.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
that light looks like it would work. i looked at the reviews on it, one guy they burned out fast an had to change led's, an other thought the finish wasn't that good. the wiring might be a challenge as you need just the brake power an not the tail light/brake power.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ACD65POST my brother installed a Billet Specialties third brake light on his 55 Chevrolet 2 Dr hardtop and in my opinion I would stay away from that light.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/exterior-accessories/tail-lights/third-brake-light-oval/

That light got loose from the base on his 55 when driving and tilts. The very small allen bolts that attach it strip out very easy. He had to super glue the light to the base to keep it tightly attached. In his opinion that light is a PITA!

·
Registered
6 Posts
3rd Brake Light

I installed brake / turn signal lights in the license plate of my 63 Nova. They're not super obvious but they get the job done.

3rd brake light.jpg

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
acd65post ......

Look at the "brake-light" that you posted ..... it does not look like it will swivel on the mount bracket. (looks like that to me).

in post #3 ..... the 3rd brake light mounted in my back window -- has that "swivel feature" ...... I think you may want that , if you mount u'r light like mine (click & enlarge that picture).

I did have too adjust my light too fit my back window --- just FYI .

and, my rear brake light was $ 40.00 plus, 24 years ago , (from THE ROD FACTORY).

look at this one :

https://www.rodworx.com/shop/pedestal-mount-led-3rd-brake-light-chrome/

just my 2cents ... :waving:

·
Registered
71 Posts
convert

Not to beat a dead horse , but has anybody installed a 3rd brake light on a 63 convertible? I have been thinking about cutting trunk lid and installing one like out of a chevy cruse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts