·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fixing to paint inner fenders, plan on using rustoleum
semi gloss. it is oil based enamel. how much should
it be thinned. directions say not more than 5 percent
it brushed or rolled but nothing about spraying.but
can says it can be sprayed. does it need any hardner..

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've sprayed it before and its easy to over thin it. It doesn't take much acetone to thin it down. A lot less than you'd think. And yes, it does take a couple days for it to cure right. Temperature and humidity will affect how it lays out and dries.
I was going to paint my engine bay in rustoleum satin black, but decided not to because its oil based. My theory was that any fluid like gasoline, trans fluid or oil getting on the paint might eat it off or blemish the finish. I'm not sure on the durability of rustoelum in those types of applications. I didn't want to chance it and end up having to redo the engine bay, so I spent a little extra more and got some PPG ALK 200 gloss black alykilid enamel. I've used it before on my 55 chevy and my dad's Fairlane with great results. Its a whole heck of a lot more durable paint. Worth the extra investment in my professional opinion. A gallon with the hardener is around $65 dollars.
I'm not trying to steer you away or say you're going the wrong direction with your paint choice. I tend to stick with what I know what works for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts