Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on my way home yesterday, driving East on I-64. It was raining - not hard, just a steady drizzle. Traffic was moving at 70-75 mph. I was in the right lane, coming up on a kid on a Honda crotch-rocket. I was behind him for a couple of minutes and thought it was kinda weird that he was going slightly slower than most of the traffic; but then, he was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, flimsy sneakers and (of course) NO helmet.

I roll out to pass him, look over - and he's TEXTING!

I go on down the road about a mile and here he comes, probably 80-85 and now tucked in behind his tiny windshield to keep out of the rain.

I remember being 19 and bullet-proof, but not THAT stupid...

S

·
0 Posts
To some of these fools anymore, nothing is more important. Doesn't matter if it's their life, job, or someone's safety. If you ask me, (whether you did or not), they all need a good azz kickin or some other form of respect education.:)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yup, I call them "organ donors"
Nah, most of them are to mangled up and dead too fast to be donors.
Have a friend that has been an EMT for 15 years. He says he is still amazed how creative people are when it comes to finding stupid ways to kill themselves. Teenagers and drunks are at the top of the list. Next come idiots that are to macho to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
unbeliveable:no:
mabe they should have been raised the old fashioned way instead of allowed to play netendo all day.
there just might possibly be a few more brain cells:rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seem's like every time I get on SNS and look at the BS area, there's a bunch of people talking about how bad the generation I belong to is. But how many of you know some of the people in my generation and have tried to take them under your wing? I'm sure there are a few. Instead of complain about them try helping them out, don't want them to text and drive, bend a tie rod so the car always pulls to one side. That will force them to keep their hands on the steering wheel. Don't like people talking on their phone while driving, cut off their muffler, can't talk on the phone when you can't hear the other person. Now those are a bit extreme, but realy I think my generation lacks a little guidance, we are so coddled, and told not to do things because they are "dangerous" so naturally staying inside and playing video games seems safer than being out side int he scary, dangerous world. but I hear the story's of people doing things in the yesteryear's and they turned out fine, a couple of scars but they lived. When a person looks up to you they are more likely to listen, and remember what you have to say, so instead of bashing these kids and giving them dirty looks. Try to help them change their ways threw being a friend/ mentor. An when they take their old beat up car to a car show, don't just walk past it because its not the prettiest car go up and talk to them rather than saying " I had a car like that, but it didn't have so many dents" give some tips, find out what they want to to do, tell them what you've learned. Taking interest in what they do, and keep them interest will keep them from taking the wrong paths in life.end of ramble.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Seem's like every time I get on SNS and look at the BS area, there's a bunch of people talking about how bad the generation I belong to is. But how many of you know some of the people in my generation and have tried to take them under your wing? I'm sure there are a few. Instead of complain about them try helping them out, don't want them to text and drive, bend a tie rod so the car always pulls to one side. That will force them to keep their hands on the steering wheel. Don't like people talking on their phone while driving, cut off their muffler, can't talk on the phone when you can't hear the other person. Now those are a bit extreme, but realy I think my generation lacks a little guidance, we are so coddled, and told not to do things because they are "dangerous" so naturally staying inside and playing video games seems safer than being out side int he scary, dangerous world. but I hear the story's of people doing things in the yesteryear's and they turned out fine, a couple of scars but they lived. When a person looks up to you they are more likely to listen, and remember what you have to say, so instead of bashing these kids and giving them dirty looks. Try to help them change their ways threw being a friend/ mentor. An when they take their old beat up car to a car show, don't just walk past it because its not the prettiest car go up and talk to them rather than saying " I had a car like that, but it didn't have so many dents" give some tips, find out what they want to to do, tell them what you've learned. Taking interest in what they do, and keep them interest will keep them from taking the wrong paths in life.end of ramble.
I help out the younger gen every chance I can:yes:90%of em roll eyes/give you that blank stare/or mumble to their buddy about the old fart:yes:
BUT when ya hit that 10%that appreciate help and LISTEN to the old fart its so refreshing.BTW these are the ones that mom and dad actually spent time with........you can tell:yes:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I still think that the generations of people have been the same, it's just the world that's gotten more complicated... Us younger bucks seem to have more ways to kill ourselves, and thanks to media it's much more advertised. I mean how many of you older folk just had to learn life the hard way rather than listen to your elders and probably save yourself some grief... Hell, if camera phones and the web existed 40 years ago, there would be a hell of a lot more dumb ***'s to watch on you tube! Some of the stories I've gotten out of older family members makes me wonder if they rode the short bus or not...

That being said, I'm not condoning any of the dumb **** listed in the last couple threads... There are some seriously stupid people out there... Texting while on a rice burner???? That's natural selection in its finest! And I must agree much of our my generation and up has been way over protected...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I agree with some of the younger generation. Looking back remembering some of the stupid things I did, I'm lucky to be alive. I will agree there is a certain lack of intelligence out there in ALL ages.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes, I see stupid kids wherever I look. That goes with getting, ...."older".

The problem I have is LAZY kids. Everyone is all about instant gratification. I have three girls. I GAVE the oldest one a '61 Bel Air that was complete and ran and drove. I told her if I spend more time on it than you, you do something stupid, or just forget about it, it's mine again. I sold the car two months later and she didn't seem to care. :eek:

The only reason I gave her the car in the first place was because she "fell in love" with it. That was the shortest love affair I've ever seen.

When I was 14, I worked my butt off for every spare dollar I could swing. I saved up $800 and bought two '64 Chevelle wrecks. I had a running, driving car inside of 3 weeks. My girls don't want anything they have to work for. .....so they have nothing. I'm not giving them a dang thing they don't earn. It scares me they're content with that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
don't want them to text and drive, bend a tie rod so the car always pulls to one side. That will force them to keep their hands on the steering wheel..
Just wanted to point out the fine print here lol....a bent tie-rod does nothing to make a car pull one side or the other. It will just cause your steering wheel to not be level as you're driving straight. Only excessive camber and caster will cause your car to pull. Or even excessive cross-camber or cross-caster.

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
There was a lot in my day too, I have a list of buddies who didn't make the swim in the gene pool.:(

As we get older, it tends to seem more ridiculous.:rolleyes: Although texting adds another level of dumb.:yes:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've never understood not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle, and that didn't start with this generation. I've also never understood the habit to look down on current "generations." Don't kid yourselves old guys, when you were young the old generation thought you were useless too. I'm a Gen X, so I'm in the middle of Baby Boomers and Gen Y, but I don't quite get bashing someone because of the year they were born. Associating someone with a generation is such a useless way of generalizing and lumping them into a group when you're too lazy to get to know them as individuals.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I will agree about texting and driving/riding, never did it and never will.

Although, I have seen first hand the current "young" generation. Being 19 I catch a lot of crap from people I know and even customers that come in to where I work.

I've had friends that for the first time in their lives got a summer job to have money while away at college. Friends that have had everything handed to them by mommy and daddy. Friends that would make fun of me for staying home and wrenching on my Nova than getting hammered at a party. Did I do stupid stuff in high school? Yes. However, I knew where to draw the line. Parents seem to take less interest in their children and let technology do the parenting. Hence boundaries not being set and lines being crossed. I know for a fact that as each generation gets older they think they "know it all" and that will never change.

As for the work scenario a wealthy customer once made a snide remark about "how hard it is for me to make a living washing and detailing cars". I replied with something along the lines of "I just do this in my spare time while training in college to become a police officer". Their eyes never left the ground and they got in their car without saying another word.

To all you old heads reading this thread, don't let one idiot determine the outcome of our generation. I don't base my opinions of you from a crotchety old man or woman.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I was on my way home yesterday, driving East on I-64. It was raining - not hard, just a steady drizzle. Traffic was moving at 70-75 mph. I was in the right lane, coming up on a kid on a Honda crotch-rocket. I was behind him for a couple of minutes and thought it was kinda weird that he was going slightly slower than most of the traffic; but then, he was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, flimsy sneakers and (of course) NO helmet.

I roll out to pass him, look over - and he's TEXTING!
From "I-64" on, I thought you were setting the stage for a hillbilly/redneck joke. My cousin grew up in Ohio and poor ol' WV and Kentucky are the punchline of every third joke he tells.

But, I'll give you this: texting has become a lifestyle! For some, it's an addiction worse than crack. Or Oxycot... nevermind.

If you ask me, (whether you did or not), they all need a good azz kickin or some other form of respect education.:)
Good news! The United States Marine Corps still offers such a program at two convenient locations. :D A former platoon commander of mine once said "I'm not saying we beat the guy, but he learned our ways."

mabe they should have been raised the old fashioned way instead of allowed to play netendo all day.
Is that the kids' fault, or the parents'? The Nintendo Entertainment System got popular around 1990... I remember it being a hot topic in the 2nd grade school lunch room. Almost all of our parents (the ones buying the consoles) were Baby Boomers.

I think my generation lacks a little guidance, we are so coddled, and told not to do things because they are "dangerous"
You are right on!!! We live in a hyper-sensitive safety culture in 2013. For example, my kids' car seats look like space travel capsules--which they must use until they're 8 YEARS OLD or 65 lbs!!! GOOD GRIEF! The same folks implementing these laws DIDN'T HAVE SEATBELTS growing up, and put their own kids (us/me) in plastic boosters akin to a restaurant booster. How many times did I sit in the car while my mommy went inside to run an errand? Try that now, and you're facing criminal charges! But in their wisdom, they know what's "best for us". No thanks.

Wonder why kids don't play outside anymore? It's ILLEGAL to leave a child under the age of 8 unsupervised... that is, out of your direct line of sight! So, what's the safe/legal/lazy thing to do? Keep the kids inside.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've never understood not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle, and that didn't start with this generation. I've also never understood the habit to look down on current "generations." Don't kid yourselves old guys, when you were young the old generation thought you were useless too. I'm a Gen X, so I'm in the middle of Baby Boomers and Gen Y, but I don't quite get bashing someone because of the year they were born. Associating someone with a generation is such a useless way of generalizing and lumping them into a group when you're too lazy to get to know them as individuals.
I agree!!!
I got kids that are 23, 20, and 14, and none of them, or none their friends are lazy or stupid. They are all good kids. I think the younger generation are overall about the same or more ambitious than my generation was when I was young.
So...Nobody in the "good old days" knew guys that did things that were really stupid, bad enough to die or be injured, or knew lazy guys that did no work, or the least amount to get by? I sure did!

I remember my Dad saying how lazy the young "hippie" generation was. It seems every generation thinks the next is no good. I wonder why?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts