Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the torque spec for the thermostat housing 74 350???

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Torque the thermostat housing? Hmmmmm, I hope mine doesn't fail after all these years of not being properly torqued!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Torque the thermostat housing? Hmmmmm, I hope mine doesn't fail after all these years of not being properly torqued!
Yeah......About that tight.... :D

Nothing critical there as long as the thermostat housing doesn't crack and the threads don't pull out of the intake.

I figure it's a LOT more important to coat the living hell out of the thermostat housing bolt threads with anti-seize if you're working with an aluminum intake!!! :yes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah......About that tight.... :D

Nothing critical there as long as the thermostat housing doesn't crack and the threads don't pull out of the intake.

I figure it's a LOT more important to coat the living hell out of the thermostat housing bolt threads with anti-seize if you're working with an aluminum intake!!! :yes:
Well I guess if I torque it to the correct specs I wouldnt have to worry about that stuff happening. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not all of us are Nova Master mechanics such as yourself.. When I build something I like to follow the directions as they are written, I dont toss them aside...and hope for the best.:D

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
When I build something I like to follow the directions as they are written
Speaking of writing, I must commend you on your spelling--it's refreshing to at least be able to read what you wrote.
Seriously, I torque head bolts, rod bolts, main cap bolts, and.......not much else; never seen a need to waste the time. Well, that and I'm lazy as hell!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of writing, I must commend you on your spelling--it's refreshing to at least be able to read what you wrote.
Seriously, I torque head bolts, rod bolts, main cap bolts, and.......not much else; never seen a need to waste the time. Well, that and I'm lazy as hell!
Are you being sarcastic?:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Naw Botox.. er... Bowtie is never .. what?/ Ho yeah, is, is honest and truthful from his point... like most everyone here... and a good adviser.. if you dont ask about edelbrock carbs!:devil:

Let me just say at every nut bolt and screw in every chevy has a Tq spec... do they need to be adhered to for every thing? according the guy that wrote the spec sheet for what ever your working on... you bet....

but common sense will tell you that a bracket that holds the coil to the intake or the clamping force of that bracket to the coil is not near as critical as the TQ of the rod caps or main bolts....

I will tighten that clap to my liking and turn the screw in that clamp to hold the coil to my liking... but I will bust out my Tq wrench every time for the rod bolts and mains....

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Are you being sarcastic?
About the spelling--NO. Read a few posts and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes I have to re-read a few times before I can begin to understand what the person has written. There's a reason for that spell check button!
About the torque--also NO.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Well I guess if I torque it to the correct specs I wouldnt have to worry about that stuff happening. :rolleyes:
Some of us around here sometimes take for granted that most people know what tight is without going too far and breaking stuff, namely a 3/8" bolt (not the easiest to snap).
Sorry, I'm with Bowtie on this one. If it's a non critical part or application I won't take the time to get my torque wrench out, set it multiple times and bring the fastener to its full yield in steps, several times in order to fully burnish the threads for the most accurate reading.:no::rolleyes:

I did however point out that it was MUCH more important to use some sort of anti-seize on the bolt threads.:yes: That's the #1 problem everyone seems to run into.:rolleyes: Without it, there's a GOOD chance when you have to remove the thermostat housing down the road that either the bolt will break or the threads will come out with it.:mad:

But I guess since there was a hint of sarcasm in the first part of my post,you totally ignored the rest...

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit.:D I'll make a mental note of your sensitivity.:poke:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First...yes I can be sensative poking me with a stick will only make it worse.:D

Second... I have been on a lot of sites and there are alot of grammar or spelling nazi lurking to correct you so I am always on guard for those azzhats.

Third...I think assuming I knew what I was doin was part of the problem. Next time I will start the post with "hey I dont know what the F I am doing but here is my question" that will save a lot of grief right there.

Fourth...Is there really antyhing wrong with someone who wants to torque every bolt? I mean I know brackets and stuff like that dont need to be, I mean if I thought that I would have asked about the alternator bracket, but I didnt. I did know from past experience that the cover can break and just wanted to make sure I knew where to stop. As I get more experience I will be able to guestimate like you guys. (a little past hand tight) stuff like that.

This site is a valuable resource and nine time out of ten I am right in the middle of the job with crap all over me and I am looking for an answer. So I am probably a little testy.

So thanks for the info and I will try not to read into the comments.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and I did use a lot of anti-seize.. The bolts where a bitch to get out. I think it was the original thermostat. Only 59k on my car I doubt it was every changed.:cool:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Time and experience will allow you to tighten up non-critical components without a torque wrench. Just to go by "feel". I see nothing wrong with torquing EVERYTHING to spec. That way you can sleep good at night. I will say though, that when I installed the motor mounts on my block, spec says 35# and when I got there, I just felt a bit more was needed so I gave it just a slight extra tug.

As far as front end components, I learned to just tighten them till you pass wind. that's usually tight enough.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As far as front end components, I learned to just tighten them till you pass wind. that's usually tight enough.
Yup......that's tight enough...:devil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts