Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Funny, I used to say I'd never own a 4th gen Nova (68-72 is my dream car) because I thought they were some of the ugliest cars Chevy ever made. Fast forward a few years later, I own one and I've done everything I could/can with what little skill I have and budget to make it the best it can be. I bought it as a bare roller.... It had the rear end, steering, suspension, brakes, and part of the interior, along with the body modifications as you see already done to it. The rest was up to me... Engine, trans, converter, wheels and tires, plumbing, wiring, mounting fuel cell, mounting battery, seat and seat belt mounting, moving the steering shaft over (not really much work like you probably think), and several little things. I could make a novel out of the things I've done to it and will do to it this off season, but I'll try to keep this short.

Here's the setup on the car:
-355 SBC, worked Double Hump Heads, 750 Holley/Proform, roller rockers, flat tappet 580 lift, basically a zz4 crate engine someone worked on a little bit.
-PTC built powerglide, pro tree brake with 1:89 planetaries with PTC 8" converter about 5k stall
-Moser 9" rear end, 5:14 gears w/spool, 28 spline,Strange axles, Mark Williams Pinion Yoke
-Strange disc brakes all around, QA1 single adjustable coilovers all around, tubular upper and lower a arms
-Ladder bar, back half, subframe connectors
-K&R wiring kit that I redid entire car with
-A lot of new parts on this car...

Best on transbrake is 7.16 ET, Footbraking best is 7.26 if I recall. First car I ever put together, first car I sunk my wallet into, first car I sold my soul for, and the car that's gotten me addicted on working on one, CONSTANTLY thinking about and has gotten me on this drag/bracket racing addiction. Don't see me getting rid of it anytime soon or possibly even ever. Not to brag, but I've had more people than I ever would've imagined compliment the car or take pics of when I'm at the track with it. Makes me pretty damn happy to have people see and appreciate the work and detailed effort I put into it to make it look like I car about it. I'll post more pics of it at a later time of the before and after. Thanks for checking it out!

Here's a couple vids:

Come a long way even since that first race, I've only ran a total of four now

TNT the other week before the big race. Made it down to 5 cars in footbrake out of 45-60? until I went red and trans or converter broke

-

·
Registered
235 Posts
wish I had tires like that on the back of mine...well done and good work...now you gotta rewire it for street legal, fix all the lights, get it inspected, clear title, insurance and join the rest of us

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wish I had tires like that on the back of mine...well done and good work...now you gotta rewire it for street legal, fix all the lights, get it inspected, clear title, insurance and join the rest of us
Nope, that's what the next Nova will be for... ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good job dude! That's a solid running car, and you are a good driver. It's a lot of work most people don't realize the time, money, and effort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job dude! That's a solid running car, and you are a good driver. It's a lot of work most people don't realize the time, money, and effort.
All three of those elements are big but money is certainly the biggest. I can't believe how much I've spent on it and how I'm still only at the seven second range in the 1/8! lol To be fair though, I bought this engine for 2250 carb to pan and all that's been done to it is most of the gaskets and seals replaced, oil changed, valve lash checked, plugs and have upgraded the carb some. Put around 60 passes on it, so I can't complain too much. Getting ready to tear it down and see why compression readings are 125-150psi and why the plugs looked like they did on the first set I had in it. If it's worth spending money on, I'll upgrade to aluminum heads, a roller cam and possibly an intake. Going to be an expensive off season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts