Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's welded in and looks/sounds good! For $160 on sale, I couldn't pass it up. I ran Summit turbo muffs on my El Camino and they were great, and I am not disappointed with how it turned out on the Nova either. :D

This thread is unofficial because I did major modificaion to the kit. I'm running mid-length headers for ground clearance (2" drop in front, 1.5" out back) and I installed an x-pipe from a donor car.

This is how the box comes:

The pipes are of high quality thick aluminized construction, and the mandrel bends are true mandrel bends - no kinks, no reduction in inside diameter. Worth every penny.

I chopped up the exhaust from my donor car ('96 Caprice) for the x-pipe. I got rid of the Blowmaster muffs. I hated those things! :mad: Cool at first, but the DRONE on the freeway was like Chinese water torture for my ear drums! :turn:

Mid length Hedman headers with ball & flange collectors. No leaks here!

I lined everything up, tac welded it in place then dropped the whole system.

Welded it up, then sprayed the welds with high-temp paint from VHT.

Back in the car. I put Walker Dynomax band clamps on the front of the muffs for easy disassembly. This way I can drop the front end of the exhaust if I need to. Its a nice insurance policy.

The x-pipe was a whole helluva lot more work than doing a "true dual" system, but the payoff in low-end torqe, better gas mileage, and more mellow exhaust is well worth the effort!!!

Front to back:

Back to front:

The most frustrating part of this install was trying to figure out how to hang the exhaust. After many hours of searching around, I found that most people drill a hole through the rear seat belt mount for hanging the muffs. Stainless bolts and nylock washers, this bad boy is going nowhere:

For keeping the tailpipes in place, I used the original 6-cylinder exhaust hanger on the passenger's side, and modified one of the Summit hangers that came in the kit.

Another frustrating thing... nobody had pics on where the Summit exhaust exits. I took a gamble, and it looks pretty darn good! I'd prefer the dump to be just past the rear wheels, but this will do. :yes:

Impressions

Install: If I were doing a "true dual" install with long tube headers and no x-pipe, this would have been a cakewalk. I highly recommend this kit! If you don't have a welder, I think you could get away with not having to weld a thing, as the kit comes with tons of hardware (compression clamps, hangers, nuts and bolts).

Bends: awesome.

Lengths: I did need to shorten one of the tailpipes on the passenger side. Where the pipe goes into the muff I lopped off 3". This is easy compared to having to lengthen anything!

Materials: top of the line.

Price: unbeatable.

Sound: YouTube video coming soon. Sounds awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
looks great! looking forward to hearing it too!! :yes:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Very nice. Great work. This is most likely the system I will use along with the Summit ceramic headers. May not do the x pipe but we'll see. Look forward to the video. Seems those mufflers come with the kit. I was going to ask Summit if they do substitutions. I want my car quieter than with the turbo mufflers, which I used to run. They were Thrush and waaaay too loud.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice. Great work. This is most likely the system I will use along with the Summit ceramic headers. May not do the x pipe but we'll see. Look forward to the video. Seems those mufflers come with the kit. I was going to ask Summit if they do substitutions. I want my car quieter than with the turbo mufflers, which I used to run. They were Thrush and waaaay too loud.
Substitutions? More than likely not, but at the price of the kit, you could just sell the muffs to a buddy for $20 and still have a great deal on the pipes.

Have you heard the Summit muffs? I have been pleasantly suprised that they are nice and quiet, both on my El Camino and on the Nova. This of course has a lot to do with the cam you have and horsepower level.

FYI - I haven't taken the video yet because I have a bad plug wire. Running on 7 sounds like sh*t, so it wouldn't be a true reflection of what the system sounds like. Plug wires got here yesterday, so I should have something for you boys on Monday. :D

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
i was thinking of getting this as well but seeing as i dont know how to weld for jack shat i dont know it would save me a load of money then a shop which i might use the shop would be 300-400 mmm i dont know :confused:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Low end torque Better gas mileage?

Call me stupid but how does an x pipe on the exhaust increase low end torque and better gas mileage?:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, I know this is a Nova forum, but my neighbor and I just installed a Summit exhaust in his 1971 Dodge Demon. I couldn't believe it.. with Hooker headers, he didn't have to do anything but a little cutting. The Summit system was a complete bolt in. All the mounts, and connections were fine.

I'm a little bummed they don't have that for Chevys. My guess is that they have too many little variables for them to say it is a true "bolt in".

Oh well, I guess you have to toss the Mopar boys a bone now and then.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You don't have to weld to get this kits in. I've used Summit exhaust kits many times and never welded any of them. Just cut the pipes to fit, but I use band clamps instead of the standard exhaust clamps. It's a pretty easy install, and yes, for $15 mufflers, they sound really good. And the exhaust for a Chevy can't be as exact as the Mopar because GM has many models and engines the same kit will fit with a little trimming.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
hey, awesome post.

looking at your pics I realized I had bought the wrong collector reducer. DAMN. good thing I had not bolted up the pipes.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
That does sound very stealthy. Doesnt sound like your typical V8.

I may just direct all my posts here since noone seems to like 3rd gens.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Call me stupid but how does an x pipe on the exhaust increase low end torque and better gas mileage?:confused:
An X-pipe acts like a venturi. It scavenges the exhaust pulse from one side of the V8 to help pull the following exhaust pulse from the opposite bank. The better exhaust scavanging you have, the better performance. X-pipe. Do it! :D

I'm a little bummed they don't have that for Chevys. My guess is that they have too many little variables for them to say it is a true "bolt in".
This kit would have been darn close to a bolt-in if I would have had full length headers and no X-pipe. Re-read the original post. :)

You don't have to weld to get this kits in. I've used Summit exhaust kits many times and never welded any of them.
Yep, right on. :yes:

It looks great, you do nice work. In your opinion, 69LT1, do you think this exhaust system would fit with this muffler?
Blowmaster? I'm ashamed. :poke::eek:

You just need an offset in, center out muff with a 13" case length. Most muffs are waaaay too long.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts