Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. I had a rocker arm go away....

I am now on the hunt for the best stud mount rocker arm...

Things used to be so simple.. Crane, Harland Sharp...then Crower, comp.... and now so many choices.... the ones that are catching my eye are the Comp ultra pro Magnum... PT# 1605-16....

I would like to hear from you guy and gals what your experience is and with which rocker and why its suites your needs...

I am also considering the probe Industries shaft mounts.. at 550.00 they are hard to ignore.... the draw back to them is the non pressurized oiling of the T&D, or Jessel, or Crane... but they are also some 400 to 500 dollars higher........

so chime in and tell why you on board with a particular rocker

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
In a stud mounted rocker arm.
the best!!!!!!! period!

the Crower Euro!

http://crower.com/misc/m_cat.shtml

I do feel these are over kill for most applications.

The Harland Sharp with life time warranty and it's years of history and solid reputation the best bang for the buck!

IMO!

I have a 1/2 set of 7/16 stud 1.5

Al

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on every body running Crower Stainless rockers?

no ones running

Comp, Crane, Harland, Erson, Howards, Scorpion, Procomp:devil:, Proform:sleep: Probe industries, ????

ever one here is runnin stamped steel rockers?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Come on every body running Crower Stainless rockers?

no ones running

Comp, Crane, Harland, Erson, Howards, Scorpion, Procomp:devil:, Proform:sleep: Probe industries, ????

ever one here is runnin stamped steel rockers?
Whiner! :devil:

I've had no problems with my Scorpions. Inexpensive, domestically produced, and a track record of good reviews meant a lot when I made my decision.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
:puke:proComp:yes:
:puke:proForm:yes:

I've got Scorpion Rockers on mine (although I personally haven't tested their lifetime limits yet:devil:) But I also put a set on my little Bro's car that went all over the country without ever having a valve cover off and I'm SURE those valves were floated a FEW times!!!:yes:

There's a multitude of GOOD rockers out there even though some are no longer being manufactured so their availability will soon come into question (Crane Gold). Any of which SHOULD be fine in your application. What you've got really makes me question the quality of the materials used by Miller.:yes: Sister-in-law's stang has the Probe shaft mounts in it and has seen well over 8000 several times with some pretty good spring pressures with no problems. And they were bought USED...

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
There are three different kinds of aluminum rockers made today.

• Forged billet
  • Extruded
  • Vacuum-cast

Forged billet aluminum rockers are the best. Scorpions are made this way.

Extruded aluminum rockers are next in line. Crane Gold rockers are made from extruded aluminum.

Vacuum-cast are the cheapest ones out there. They cost less to manufacture because less machining is required. While they are not as strong as billet or extruded, they're not that bad. Definitely better than stock. All the communist Chinese made rockers like Pro Forms and Summit brand and a ton of other cheap rockers are cast.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
im running comp pro magnums i would snap a pic but i dont want to disclose any other information on my heads :no: ive had mine for 5 years with no problems ive had them on two different setups my last set up broke with these on the motor i sent them to comp and they sent me the same ones back they where fine they didnt need a rebuild at all :no:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
there are three different kinds of aluminum rockers made today.

• forged billet
  • extruded
  • vacuum-cast

forged billet aluminum rockers are the best. Scorpions are made this way. so are harland sharp!!!!!

extruded aluminum rockers are next in line. Crane gold rockers are made from extruded aluminum.

Vacuum-cast are the cheapest ones out there. They cost less to manufacture because less machining is required. While they are not as strong as billet or extruded, they're not that bad. Definitely better than stock. All the communist chinese made rockers like pro forms and summit brand and a ton of other cheap rockers are cast.

Harland sharp!
http://www.harlandsharp.com/

the inventor of the roller rocker!
http://www.harlandsharp.com/history.htm

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
extruded is essentially forged aint? since they are both pushed through a die to make a finish form? where as forged is a ingot pressed into shape..

very close process in my thinking...

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have had my crane golds on my chevelle for about 8 years with no problems at all. that motor lives at 7800-8000 all day. i also have them on my 66 nova with a **** load of spring pres. and again havent had a prob. the scorpion rockers are a very good choice as i have built motors and ran them. for under $200.00 and lifetime warenty and gauranteed to withstand 800 lbs. of spring pressure, im sure they will work for you. basically what im saying is stay away from the $100.00 rockers and spend the money on a trusted brand. (crane,comp,crower,scorpion,jessel,ect,ect). you will be hapier in the long run.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have Lunati's on the 410" (1.5+1.6--can't turn down free) I have an ancient set of Isky's (1.5+1.6) that are still perfect, A half set of Scorpion 1.7's, I sold some Comp's to a friend that needed some. I've had one issue with a Lunati rocker where the axle on the roller tip came out (money saving idea that has been revised back to the old way)
I have a friend at Probe, and one of their shaft deals failed recently and caused some major pain in the wallet of another friend; I'm not sure if they determined the problem yet. I'll let you know if I hear.
Call Phil at T&D, mention my name, he'll double the price......or not!
If I get really wild and reckless I might try a set of Pro Comp's shaft types, but I'm still a little leery of them--they are about the same price as a set of stud mounts, but............

1 - 20 of 56 Posts