Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I know the "rivits" on a 1st gen are only pressed in pieces of thin tin.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
if you look close, it looks as though the rivets were put on after the tag was painted, with the rivets being painted seperate. around the od of the rivet head, there's paint chipped or flaking off. the rivets almost look like the run of the mill pop rivets where the inside shaft breaks off when you compress the rivet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the vin # This car was the 154,668 one produced. On the cowl tag after NOR it has the numbers 109226. Could you tell me what these numbers mean? Thanks, Jumm

·
Registered
535 Posts
I believe the cowl tag should match the vin tag as far as the production number goes.

·
14,003 Posts
trip-l-jax said:
I believe the cowl tag should match the vin tag as far as the production number goes.
The cowl tag and VIN sequence numbers should not be matching. The number on the cowl tag is a body sequence number used as a tracking system within the plant. This number has no relationship to the VIN.
Bob

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the cowl tag and VIN tag sequence will NEVER match. The VIN tag sequence number is the sequence that the car as a whole was built by GM....the cowl tag sequence number is the sequence that fisher built the body of the car...the two numbers will NEVER be the same.;)

those rivets do not look right...I would say the tag has been off and they used incorrect rivets to reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
There must be a added back plate also since the rivit holes are actually kinda large for rivits of that style to work.

·
Registered
535 Posts
CdnL79 said:
The cowl tag and VIN sequence numbers should not be matching. The number on the cowl tag is a body sequence number used as a tracking system within the plant. This number has no relationship to the VIN.
Bob
My bad, it's been awhile since looking at the two on my car. They do not match. The rivets on my cowl tag have a large center opening in them with not much exposed over the tag:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts