Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tring to decide on a complete exhaust/muffler setup for my 66 ht.The car will be a Bracket Racer with limited street use.Headed to the muffler shop Friday.Has anyone used the round bullet style mufflers such as Flowmaster,borla Xr-1?Muffler guy says a 3" to 3.5" pipe.I would like the car to be quiet but not kill the motor if there is such a thing.I have 1.75 hooker fenderwells.

388,11.5 comp,558 soild flat tappet,dart Pro-1 200 64cc,victor jr.,msd ignition,th350, 10"ptc race converter, 9" 4.11 ladder bars,27-10.5 hoosier q.t. pros.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Check my website. I used 3" with the x-pipe and 50 series Flowmasters (stainless). I run the same header:)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I would like the car to be quiet but not kill the motor
If you want quiet, stay away from any bullet type muffler, those things are loud and sound like crap--I use 3 1/2" oval Borlas --in the car they seem LOUD to me, but others comment on how quiet my car is in relation to how it runs. If I were buying new stuff, I'd go with Dynomax Ultraflow weldeds or some of the Magnaflow race stuff. I've seen 9 second cars you can barely hear with Dynomax's!

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
You might want to do some research on mufflers. You will find that the flowmasters are not as great as they would have you believe. The previous owner of my truck (OK, It was my Dad) did research before he had new exhaust put on the truck, and he found that flowmasters were noisier, and did not flow as well as the muffler he bought. He doesn't remember which he bought, but he thinks it was a dynomax. It does have a nice sound, not to loud, and not obnoxious.

Randy (it's not a very big muffler either!!):cool:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I swapped a set of noisy two chambers Flowmasters for Magnaflows. The sound is exactly what I wanted and there was no power loss.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exhaust

redlt499 said:
I'm tring to decide on a complete exhaust/muffler setup for my 66 ht.The car will be a Bracket Racer with limited street use.Headed to the muffler shop Friday.Has anyone used the round bullet style mufflers such as Flowmaster,borla Xr-1?Muffler guy says a 3" to 3.5" pipe.I would like the car to be quiet but not kill the motor if there is such a thing.I have 1.75 hooker fenderwells.

YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE PYPES EXHAUST WEB SITE THEY ARE PRODUCING A SYSTEM AS WE SPEAK. THEY SHOW PICS OF A 65 WITH THE PROTO TYPE INSTALLED. YOU CAN ALSO LISTEN TO HOW IT SOUNDS. MIGHT BE WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts