Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all the carnage of the ill fated oil choice!

I have the rear stripped and painted! What ya think of the paint?

posi is all back together with 100% new internals.
new rind & pinion
All new bearings
new axles.

As soon as the paint dry, I will move it to the table for assemble and the all PITA pinion depth and ring gear setup.

Al

·
Registered
163 Posts
Who's axles are those Al, and what gears did you go with? I assume you have some kind of c-clip eliminators.

Saw a guy loose a wheel at the track last Sunday with the whole axle still attached. Talk about a bummer.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Hey Al,,, your butt looks like Hammered S....... liver:rolleyes:

whats that black spot in the middle?:D

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Personally I prefer black but I like what you did. You kinda reversed what most people do.....black rear, chrome or aluminum cover. Cool deal with the drain / sight plug too.
He did that so the guy he's leaving behind will have something interesting to look at........:D

My tranny is sprayed that color, though it's even harder to see....

T,

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Looking good Al. Hey, not to change the subject but our Ford and GM stock prices are lookin up. :yes::D

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did figure out a little tool to use for these aggravating Posi spring install. I have a spring compressor for small engines. So I used it!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a good pattern, I was lucky with the pinion depth, .010 shim and it was dead on.

The back lash and pattern was another story. After getting it down to .010 like they wanted, the pattern was not to my liking. At .008 is was a good one. Lot of work taking the carrier in and out. I borrowed a spreader from local dealer. (connections!!)
I should have taken pictures and been a great follow up for everyone. I apologize for not. I can tell you. Once you start this you need no interruptions and need to keep your mind in the math and whats going on to get your changes.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who's axles are those Al, and what gears did you go with? I assume you have some kind of c-clip eliminators.
C-clips eliminators. The answer is no!
Why? I am not cutting this housing! Period.
Plus the eliminator kits are not designed for street use.

My retaining devise, and a local NHRA tech and I agree. But some others do not. The disc brakes on the rear will not allow the axle to come out!

GEAR
3.73, I did have 4.10 But I need this car to slow down some. I am hopping for a dead 7.50 As there is a heads up class in Atlanta I want to run. And this keeps me within the RULES!!!:D

AXLES:
Moser.

Have a little story about the axles!

The flange out side dia is 6.375 factory
Anyone with rear disc brakes in almost all cases needs to be 6.125 (6 1/8 inch)
Moser will do this no charge!:yes::D:yes::D

Also you can (as I did) order the axles from Summit at the Summit price and only 11.95 handling have them drop shipped to your door.:D

I am also going with the 1/2 inch Moser Studs #8000
And using Center line open wheel nuts(as they are the same as Weld but come in packs of 5, instead of 4 from Weld. (Save a few bucks!)

I will have pics of axles stuff tomorrow.

AL

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Al, I forgot you have rear disks, and I don't blame you for not wanting to cut your housing. I doubt you'll have any problems with the good axles.

When I was building my car, for me it kind of a no brainer to go with the moser rear end. I looked for a gm 12 bolt or even a 10.5 inch but couldn't find anything reasonable. By the time I bought something and went through it I decided for a little more I could have the ford ends with the big bearings, new posi, 33 spline axles, etc. So far I've been real happy with the rearend, although it does have a slight whine on the coast side.

I'll be curious to see what difference the gear change makes in your car. Will you be running everything else the same to see what it does? You'll have to keep us posted on that.

I've always liked your car a lot, and enjoy watching your videos. Keep the good stuff coming!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it all finished, oiled up. No leaks and will go in tonight. As soon as help get here to help it off the table!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts