Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started on the black 70 L78 Th400 car today...gonna clean her up and make her road worthy for summer driving. You can follow the story on the SYC site www.yenko.net I will be posting photos and info as it develops..comments and/or questions are welcome. Day 2 street monster is the goal..so keep your pets and kids in the house!:eek:

wilma:shh:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tom,I have one of those finned aluminum rear covers on my white 68 Nova SS 396 4spd car ,been on the car for over 25 years!! Love the day2 look!! Hey how about a fiberglass l-88 hood or Stinger hood?? Do you have any Sun 2 5/8 guages that your gonna use? Good luck,hope to see ya down at the Atlantic City Nova Show this year! Dan

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Tommy,Do you have a aluminum finn 12 bolt rear cover and lakewood traction bars with the J Bolts that you wanna sell,call me! Dan

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
WILMASBOYL78 said:
Started on the black 70 L78 Th400 car today...gonna clean her up and make her road worthy for summer driving. You can follow the story on the SYC site www.yenko.net I will be posting photos and info as it develops..comments and/or questions are welcome. Day 2 street monster is the goal..so keep your pets and kids in the house!:eek:

could you link us to the thread so we can follow yer progress ???

Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'll be happy to give you a high end Nikon digital cam for that old car,just think of all the free time you'll have to use it.LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Tom,
I have to say I really like your Nova Collection.
Is this the Finned Covers you are talking about?This Car was done Racing in about 1980 and sat in a Barn ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm talking about......found mine today in the shop...will clean it up and get ready for install. Did some homework on the motor tonite. Pulled timing cover to check gears and chain...boy are they loose!!! Stock GM plastic gear # 3856356` balancer was # 3870325... OEM valves have a white vertical paint mark. This thing is gonna really go when we get her done. More to follow....and thanks for watching the L78 channel.:D

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I Enjoy the L78 Channel,Thanks for Sharing those Cars with Us.What do Carrera Bars look like?I have a 69 that was Raced from the Early days of its life and it has a set of bars that the Tubing is Wider than Lakewood bars.Trying to find out what they are.In other words a Square tube not Rectangle like Lakewood.
Joe

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
that's an antique CD player that's what I told my kids HEHEHE!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Okay, you said to give you our opinions so I want to throw in my .02
1. I can not believe you call that car ugly, that is a very nice car, it may need lots of detail work, but is still a great looking car.
2. I like that car alot, I have a thing for bench seat big block cars :D
3. What wheels are you going to run? If you are going day two, I say go for aluminum slots, they were the rage back then, along with tourqe thrust D's (another great choice for a black car) and the slots are being reproduced so no need to try and find another set that are in great shape, american racing makes them now.
3. Since you are "preserving" the original motor, why not throw a LS6, LS7, or a L88! if you want to go nastolgic, or a 496/540/555 (take your pick) big block and have it dressed up as an L78?
What ever you do, it should be a nice fun car.

bill (you did what to a 32,000 mile L78! :eek: )

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
L78 Channel...

Bill, stay calm we haven't thrown a rod yet! The paint on the car is rough..lots of lacquer crack and scratches, dings and stuff. Bumpers are starting to scale..but overall it is very solid with only a small rust spot on the bottom of the pass frt fender. Interior needs a good cleaning and the front seat recovered. I will eventually build a replacement 396 and put the VIN L78 on layaway..but for now we are gonna run it. Should be fine with a fresh timing chain and new valve springs..the bottom end of these motors are tough, only weak link is the valve springs. I'm not worried about breaking the th400 or 12 bolt... Working on the front end now and brakes..hope to have that stuff wrapped up by the weekend. As for wheels, I have a set of 15x7 rallys with radial tires that will go on to start..may change to something else as we progress...trying to utilize parts I have in the shed and save some dough for other things. Lots of day 2 stuff will also find it's way in to this project.

thanks for the feedback..tom:shh:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts