Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Super Shevy Show in MIR yesterday and I was floored by the price of this Chevy II. The car by what the owner posted in the window sticker was this:

1967 NOVA SS
TRUE SS VIN #118

New 350 crate motor
New 350 transmission
New Radiator
New Battery
New Distributor
New Carburetor
New Chromed Billet Aluminum, valve covers, air cleaner breather and oil cap.
Original SS steering wheel included.
Original solid body
Drive anywhere
$24,500

Since I was strapped for time and didn't feel like correcting the "lost" soul, these were some of the questions I had in my head as I was walking by:

New 350 crate motor: NOT original deduct $ 2000
New 350 transmission: NOT original deduct $ 2000
New radiator: replaced with an aluminum radiator NOT original deduct $500.00
New battery: NOT original deduct $80.00
New distributor: once again NOT original deduct $ 1000.00
New carburetor: same here NOT original deduct $ 1000.00
All that billet aluminum stuff: Nice to see but for the asking price, where is the original stuff??? deduct $1000.00

As for the steering wheel, good condition but still NO bonus there. I didn't give the car a complete and thorough go thru but I could have found numerous other flaws with this car.

Non standard flat hood: deduct $1000.00
Non matching paint: deduct $5000.00 (average cost of a new paint job)
Non matching rims and tires $1000.00

So after that 5 minutes of just looking at the car I would have to say to the seller of the car, I will give you this for the car : $10,000 to start and will go no higher than $12,000 That is if the car is a true SS....

It just floors me that someone would jack the price up that much on a non-matching numbers car and could possibly rake someone over the coals with a price like that. Now I know you guys are thinking "What the hell is he talking about?" and some other choice sentences that we can't post here but, some people are out to make a buck or two on a unsuspecting car buyer.

Thanks to the wonderful people on this web site that helped me with the knowlege to know when to just "walk away" from a situation like that. And BTW, my car, if I was to sell it, which I am not, I would let it go for $10K once I am done with it. But, don't tell my wife, she would have my _rse!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Originals don't always bring the top $$$$

Don't know what that 66 looked like; but $25,000 doesn't seem like too much for a sharp 66SS. The original L-79 cars are bringing 50-75,000 if they are top notch. People are paying over $100,000 for Z-28 Camaros at B-J. Personally, I think the Novas are way underpriced in comparison to the other GM stuff. My beautifully restored original 65 SS that I have over $50,000 in, supposidly is only worth 23,500. It would be a cold day in hell that I would sell it for that! Can't blame a guy for getting out of what he has in his car if he needs to sell it.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If your buying the car as a potential stock resto, I can somewhat see your point. But the plain fact is these cars have shot way up in price, as well as the price of aftermarket parts. You have to ask yourself "If I wanted to build this car, How much would it cost?" Chances are it would be much more if the body was as good as he described.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
It doesn't sound like he said it was "all original" from what your description says...just that it's an SS with low serial number. If it was very nice then the price doesn't sound too high.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
I cant believe its that cheap with all the New stuff!

Edit-It looks like we are ganging up on you, but I believe everybody that has replied has spent well over that in a original or non-original restoration.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
On a related point, about five yrs ago I started working on my 66 again. I had it in the shop where I worked on a back lift. It was nothing but the bare body, no drivetrain, even the leaf springs were off. A guy came in and asked if it was a real SS (yes) and a factory V8 car(yes, but all that stuff is long gone). He then told me he'd give me five grand for it. And this is a car while it's not rusty, it's had a very hard life in it's 20 K miles and it shows. My response was "How would you get it out of here? Levitation?" He gave me his number and told me to call if I was interested. It just shows what people might pay...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mike:The car has a cowl induction hood on it. To me and this is my opinion, if you were going to sell a "true" SS car, then, put the original "Stuff" back on it. Then and only then, will I pay that much.

For a standard flat hood the price is arround $300.00 and to include the test fit, and the necessary body work, I rounded up to the nearest $1000.00

But the point is, if he is selling a "true" SS, then where is the original drivetrain, documentation, and other noteables that would make this car what it seems.

That is the point I am trying to make. And from what you "guys" are telling me is that the car in my garage is worth, gee, let me round up now, $25,000 as it sits...

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but all he states is it is a true ss vin?

Chuck

Sounds like a nice car for the money

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
ovrdrive said:
For a standard flat hood the price is arround $300.00 and to include the test fit, and the necessary body work, I rounded up to the nearest $1000.00

But the point is, if he is selling a "true" SS, then where is the original drivetrain, documentation, and other noteables that would make this car what it seems. That is the point I am trying to make.
The VIN says that it's a true SS. the description doesn't state that it carrys the original drivetrain. Some people don't look for that when buying a car (even if they could afford it), but I would think that most would rather have a true SS than a clone. I know I would. Would it be worth more with the stock drivetrain? Of course. But is it worth less that his asking price because it isn't there? I'd say no, not everyone cares about having that (good thing with the prices).

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Overdrive,
I was at that Show and wont Comment on that Car but,Most of the People there were trying to Stick it in as Far as they could get it.I looked at the 68 Camaro Less Engine and Trans,got the guy on his Cell,but 14000 was Way out of line.That First Gen Box Car as you went in the Gate was a Good Deal but I do not Like Post Cars.I messed up and let a Set of Drag Lites for a Mini Tub Nova Set untill the way out(did not think anyone wanted drag lites anymore),Bad move they were gone.Stopped at the J&W Booth and was reminded why I dont use them anymore.It was However a Great Day for Me and My Wife.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Have to add,
That was a Nice Car and He will get that Money when the right Person see's the Car.In all reality however,as Altered as that Car is Being a Real SS is not the Best Selling Point.If you Paid 24000 for that Car and tried to return it to Original SS Condition,you better Love that Car because it will be Yours.That is even after you sell the Parts you replace.The reason I dont believe the Price is High on the Car is,I dont believe he was asking Original SS Money for the Car.
Joe

·
6,498 Posts
I doubt the guy was trying to pass off the car as an original SS car when he states the obivious changes. The SS vin reflects the trim and options that could come with the car. To deduct the amounts listed is not reasonable. Every car that is modified from stock would be a helluva deal if that was the case and I would be first in line for some of those cars. Tell Foose or anyone else that builds super cars that his lastest car is only worth XXXX dollars because they are not original. Maybe I got lucky selling my car to someone considering it wasn't stock(thank God, cause it was a 6 cyl. post car). You never know, the car may be worth less if it had the original stuff on it. How much of it would have to be rebuilt or replaced?
You could buy the car and sell the parts for what you have declared as the deductions and clone it to an SS.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
ss is a trim level not a drivetrain:confused: Thats a decent price for that car!Where did you come up with all those weird numbers to deduct?New carb deduct a $1000:eek: New distributor deduct $1000:eek: This was not a L79 car?Do you have some kind of book or something??I'm confused??bm

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I thought about what I typed and I should have Type,in 1st and 2nd Gen Cars I like the Hardtop over the Post.Hard to Say I dont like Post Cars when all of my 3rd Gen Nova's are Post Cars.
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
so i guess this 66 for $40,000 is way out of the question then huh??
66 Nova

I think the price of a restored to original SS versus a custom or modified, i would pay more for the modified car...JMO, but with the BJ effect, the price of these cars are shooting through the roof...if it aint a L79, the price just ain there!!!

**EDIT** for the original versus modified restorations, with novas, i think that the modifieds are worth more unless its an L79 or something special like that...my original post wasnt specific. of course an all original CHevelle LS6 is gonna bring way more money than a modified version...but with novas, i think the market is a bit different...JMO

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hey Tony,
I know the owner of that car.Its one of the nicest nova's I've ever seen!!I'd pay 40k for that car in a second!!!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
batman09 said:
Hey Tony,
I know the owner of that car.Its one of the nicest nova's I've ever seen!!I'd pay 40k for that car in a second!!!
well if i ever get rid of my PRO STREET ride, then i would love to have that car. (if i could afford it, but 40K, yeah its worth it!!!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts