Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what a battle it's been to get her back on the road. Unfortunately this leaves me with no time for real bodywork and paint, AGAIN!!!! So it's a fresh coat of rattle can satin black.

First the brakes were giving me fits. No matter what I did I couldn't keep the piston in the combination valve centered. I reset it 5 times, and tried another combintaion valve. I'm convinced the aftermarket brass valves are not worth the money it costs to ship them, let alone to actually buy them. Finally I gave up and got an adjustable Summit one for the rears. Once I got that fixed I decided to move on to the ride height. Well, with the Global west A arms and the Hotchkiss 2 inch drop springs, the car still sat like a tank. So I measured and found 3 inches between the top of the tire and bottom of the wheel well, so I installed a set of drop spindles. I figure drop it 2 more inches and that leaves me a good inch to inch and a half of travel between the tire and fender, and with 600lb/in springs, they don't travel a whole lot anyhow. Well i put the front end back on the ground and all looks well, untill I put the rear on the ground. Now the fenders are sitting on the tires!!!!!! Looks like those dropped spindles really brought it down more like 3 inches. So now what do I do? I need to get the front end back up about an inch. Man, I hate getting a car done this close to it having to take a road trip. Oh well, see y'all in Columbus, and if you see a satin black 71 on the side of the road, I just may need a front tire:devil:

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Join the crowd. I think any time you work on something that is more than 30 years old, you're going to have issues. It does get frustrating, but keep up the good work. Your Nova will love you for all the work you're doing to it. :devil:

Jim Smith

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,039 Posts
I feel your pain. I hit a couple road blocks with my last upgrade. A few times I was about to give up but the guys here kept me going. I don't see how you could lower the front of a nova 4 inches without doing some heavy modifications. What do you mean it set like a tank after you put the drop coils in? I used the CPP 1.5 inch drop coils and I think it only dropped it maybe an inch. That might be the ticket to get you up and off your tires.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I know what your talking about. my noba has been off the road since december.:(

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Been there and still am. Each time you iron out another wrinkle something else comes up. Some times it is a love hate relationship with our cars. :yes: But as j_h_smith said "any time you work on something that is more than 30 years old, you're going to have issues" Now add to that if you ar modifying it with performance upgrades the car never came with. I love my car, but with 500 plus TQ hammering through that old girl, she does protest at times with aches and pains. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts