Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fixed a major a dent in my C-pillar today, and went to weld it back up, only to burn through the metal... its a different colour than the weldable steel in the C-pillar and never thought much of it before... what is it?

So now that I have a big hole to patch up, how? I'm guessing braze it?

Thanks,
Owen

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that would make sense... so what would the best thing todo with the hole?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
You can fill it with lead or filler. If its a smaller hole rage gold will
work fine. If its really large I would use something like duraglass
first then rage to finish it off.

I'm saying this if this is the lead at the seam which will have the
seam steel for the backing or did you burn it clear thru? If so how
big is the hole?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The backing steel is fine, the problem is the area needed a patch... and the top edge of the patch is dead center of the lead... looked like someone hit the car multiple times with a fork lift.

I'm thinking my best plan, will be to enlarge the patch to above the lead seam... and then either use lead or filler on the sides... I could bond the the patch to the lead, but my worry would be the patch separating during chassis flex.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
my .03.. melt the lead out(be carful not to burn yourself,the hot lead will stick to your skinand burn burn burn) and then assess the damage, fix it with a patch(if needed) and some good filler.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
stay away from trying to repair the problem with lead or brass braising rod.modern primer and paint will not adhere properly to this stuff,and the lead is not wonderful for your health(long term problems---don't worry about short time exposure) anyways......
post some pictures so we can see exactly what you're up against.
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ran into the same thing when I replaced the windshield pillars on my 65. Clean out all the lead and mig or tig weld the seam up. Once you grind/sand it down with a flap wheel or flap disc on a grinder, fill it with a short strand filler (mar-glass/ everglass, etc.) Leaving the lead will only lead to bigger problems later. As mentioned, modern day primers and paints have a chemical reaction with the lead in the seams and will blister and bubble up over time. If you must leave the lead in the seams, make sure you cover them with a good quality 2-part epoxy primer. Etch primer will have an acidic reaction. Best of luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely get the lead out, it's not hard, get a torch ( hand held torch will do ) and a blow gun and heat the lead until is starts moving then use the blow gun to blow it out, once that is done maybe use a wire wheel to clean up the seams and do your welding and finish it out with filler.......

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
There are several ways of fixing it. My preferred method is to remove the lead, get to all steel and fill with steel, TIG or MIG. It sounds like alot of work but its not. Specially compared to extending the patch panel up and over it. And to cut down on heat for removal you can dig it out with the edge of a cutoff wheel, just go slow and be careful, and do wear a mask. And finish up removing the lil bit that remains with heat. Oh, thats if you have a oxy-act rig. JR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts