Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, by far the best nova forum on the net. ive been scanning the message board for a couple weeks and decided to make a username. i frequent most of the LS1 sites but just got into the nova world. my dad purchased a 62 nova convertible last week from monroe, nc. it was supposedly built in virginia. so now im in the nova game, as im gonna help him out a good bit.

-color is galaxy grey
-327 .030 over 4 speed
-brand new paint, suspension, interior, floorpans, convertible top

future plans for the car prior to the summer shows are as follows...

Exterior

-17 x 7 Coys C5 gunmetal (ordered)
-touch up all scratches and chips
-cut and buff
-polish all aluminum
-silver and burgundy pinstripe down the side
-conv top boot
-repaint some emblems

Interior

-full stereo
-white shift knob
-gas pedal

Engine/Engine Bay
-pull motor, replace all gaskets and seals
-paint block black
-beadblast intake manifold and water pump
-convert to electronic ignition, new wires, looms, etc
-aluminum or chromed pulleys
-shorty headers
-Black Crinkle dress up kit https://www.factoryperformanceparts..../category_id/1

Suspension/Brakes
-lower car 2 inches in the front, and however much in the rear to level it
-convert rear to disc brakes
-mini subframe kit (tubular lower a-arms and bracing)
-paint all calipers and brackets
-new stainless lines, master cylinder, etc.

if anyone has any leads to this stuff or know where we can find some of it cheap, lemme know!

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Welcome to Steve's!:)

I have an interest in the upgrades you are planning! Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful!

Where did you get the steering wheel?

John
he bought the car already built. everything you see in the pics was done by someone else. we are looking into getting a grant or le carra wheel.

Great looking ride and it will look awesome when your plans are complete! Welcome to the site. By the way, 1st gen guys love to hear about tire size and backspacing, when you get your new wheels!:D
we ordered 17 x 7 w/ 4.75 inch backspacing al the way around. that seemed to be what it looked like the general BS was on stock 1st gens.

Welcome to Steves. That is a nice looking convertible. What color is it? Is it Cordovan Brown?

Thx,

Ed
house of colors galaxy grey. its a honda/mitsubishi color.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From one 'vert owner to another, VERY NICE.
I've done a few of the upgrades you are considering; Coy's 17" wheels, CPP upper and lower control arms etc.
The Coy's wheels you have decided on will look perfect with the color of your car.
Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
36couper, any pics of the coys on your vert? im anxious to see how theyll looks, and havent really found anything on here of a vert with he coys C5s!

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice car .... i have the 62 acadian convertible

wanted to ask you some questions regarding my resto...... chevy2 .com sells frame rail supports, my car doors are tight at the top, thought maybe because car may have been on tow truck and created some sag in unibody..... did you do anything underneath..... wanted to keep this car as stock as possible as it is #1 of 1251 cars made. The acadian is same as chevy 2 just different chrome for Canada....I could send some pics if you want to see so as to make recommendations..... thanks for all input.....Dwayne

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE

not too much done under the hood, just cleaning stuff up a bit and relocated some of the wiring. reapinted the master cylinder, touched up some spots on the inner fenders, removed all the washer fluid stuff (hoses and reservior), repainted brakets, had the intake powdercoated, repainted the block the best we could, repainted the water pump as well. all thats rest is to convert it to electronic ignition, find a crome rad shroud, and put the new valve covers, breather, and headers on it.

valve covers are same style

leather on the steering wheel looks a little bright here bc o flash, but it matches well. goo contrast between the dash color and the black

ditched the stock rubber one for this. weve got a white knob thats going on it as well.

gonna be a pain to do, but we're gonna cut this out so a CD player will fit nice in there. also, tryin to find a new bezel and gauges to replace the stock stuff.

alll we have left is....

-put on mini subframe kit
-lower car
-put wheels/tires on
-headers
-stereo
-find conv top boot
-pinstripe
-gauges

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got some mroe stuff done tonight. all we need is plug wires and shes ready to drive again. the headers are gonna wait for a while. we put one of the new wheels on just to see how it looks...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got some work done tonight. the car i running again now, just needs an alignment and we have to do something with the front tires and fender, they rub a little. but we installed the mini subframe kit. it just replaces the lower control arms with tubular units, and comes with a big thick brace for the center. also put on a sway bar so the car should handle 10x better now. i got to looking, and the rear has air shocks, so we took enough out to lower the rear almost 2 inches. i still think it needs to be lower, but this is where its at now! we also had to drive the car in the rain tonight to she shop, and no leaks anywhere with the convertible top so thats a huge plus...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got a little more done tonight to the nova. sorry tim, we cut the dash. also installed the gauges and new bezel we ordered. it was a little tricky mounting it to the dash, but we did some riggin and its fine!

heres some pics for tim to cry over...

just gotta get a bezel to cover the edges

the gauge bezel we had was a repo unit and wouldnt work, so we found one at the junkyard for FREEEEEEEE and repainted it.

new hurst knob

1 - 20 of 39 Posts