Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a I6 250 CI.
The only things I changed were cutting off the muffler and adding new power brakes. Would that change the ability to idle?
I checked the timing (its a bit before 4 deg BTDC) and dwell (as well as the gap on the points, dwell is at 33 deg). Lightly seated the A/F screw and then loosened it 2 turns. I guess I could re-build the carb again if nothing else works.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind when you mention adding power brakes is a vacuum leak. I doubt the mufflers would have much impact on idle...but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
If you go from a really restrictive muffler to a nice free flowing muffler it could change your carb tuning, it could lean it out, or if your mufflers are more restirictive, it could richen your idle too much.

·
13,974 Posts
Had a problem like this with my 63 SS. Ran great in September and terrible in Spring. Turned out the gas that had been sitting in it all winter had gone bad. Syphoned it and refilled with fresh fuel and it idled and ran just fine. Have used Stabil every winter since and never experienced the problem again.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts