Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i was gonna rag ya on yer choice and finish of paint... looks kinda SILVER !!!

WOW lotsa work... good job Greg ;)

keep the shots a comin' wouldja ??? ;) :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Looks good and solid Greg. I can definitely relate to the amount of work there too (even though I cheated on parts of mine and used stripper :eek: ).

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colin said:
I like using a power drill with those 3M paint/rust stripping discs.....works good, even removes old bondo.
Yep, yep. That's what I used over 90% of it. The 3M brand work best, but are softer, and get used up fast. The Norton brand, sold at Home Despot, last longer, but don't strip quite as well. Now I'm going back with wire brushes to get the cracks and crevices.

RatNova71 said:
You are taking it to THE extreme!
Hey, I haven't even started on the underside yet. :D

CDJr said:
I cheated on parts of mine and used stripper
I tried that, but only on the roof. There were so many layers of paint on this car, at least four, that it didn't go all the way through, and made an unholy mess besides. Though it's not like I'll ever, ever get all the dust out of this place now.

JohnnyRotten's Avatar JohnnyRotten said:
keep the shots a comin' wouldja ???
Aye, that I will, effen I deem the progress be worthy, Yarrr!!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Nice Work ! I can see there are more fanatics like myself That picture is almost erotic to us bros of the drill-thee scotchpad brigade

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Yep, some of us are crazy enought o know what you went thru:devil: When I stripped the outside of my car, I had to go thru 6 different paint jobs and countless repairs, with nothing more than my trusty 3/8 Dewalt drill, and a mix of paint/rust remover discs and some 80 grit sanding pads. And no, you will never get all the dust out of the garage now, never.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How many wires did you pull out of your skin after all this? I used a 4inch wire brush for an hour on a buddies rear end and pulled out like 10. I can imagine you had to stop a few times with a few choice words.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many wires did you pull out of your skin after all this? I used a 4inch wire brush for an hour on a buddies rear end and pulled out like 10. I can imagine you had to stop a few times with a few choice words.
The good thing about the 3M "hockey pucks" is that they don't throw off shrapnel, they just make a dusty mess. All of the outside metal was cleaned off with them. Anything that had a tight contour, like all the indentations on the inside of the doors and the floor pans, I used small wire brushes, maybe 2" diameter, that are thick stranded, not like the things you get at the auto parts store. These came with their own mandrel, in a box of 50. They shed much less that typical wire wheels. Still I have discovered stray strands of metal in my socks and jeans days or weeks afterwards, so I know what you mean.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still think it's easier and less messy with a chemical stripper......

John
I tried one area on the roof with airplane stripper, and to me, it just wasn't worth the hassle. There were 4 coats of paint on my car, the factory white, another white coat, red, and black, with primer for each. That would have taken a lot of chemical stripper. Each to their own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts